Wood floors vs dogs

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sharpshooter, Feb 13, 2013.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

We're going to rent a house for a year while we're between houses and many rentals here have nice wood floors in all the common areas. Real wood, not laminate fake wood.

Will our 75 pound boxer destroy the floors from claw marks? Any precautions we can take? I'd hate to ruin the floors or loose my deposit. The owner had a dog, there is a dog run out back, but the wood floors are in good shape. Never had wood floors before.

2. Mr KV

Mr KV

You should be fine unless your dog has raptor claws lol. My dog gets hers trimmed because for one I get tired of hearing the clacking and also because she seems to like her nails trimmed.

3. Kozel

Kozel

My dogs sure hate out hardwood floors. They slip and slide sometimes even fall over because they cannot get any traction on it.

They are outdoor dogs though. If you want indoor dog to live with hardwood. Especially at 75 lbs!? You are going to need RUGS lots of them!

4. Mr KV

Mr KV

^^^ Yup. Your dog will be sliding around everywhere if you don't trim them.

5. schild

schild

After thirteen years with 2-3 Dobermans' my hardwood floors have a distressed look.

6. G35DriverG19Carrier

G35DriverG19Carrier

If possible I know you're renting find out if they are pre finished or site finished. As long as they are pre finished by a commonly known company they should have aluminum oxide in the finish that will help a ton in the scratch resistance. Some of the older style floors that are wax based and pure urethane based will tend to scratch more.

All in all as long as the dog doesn't get hyper all of the time you should be ok. But it's a natural product and you can still damage it. We have an 80lb lab that is extremely calm and don't have any issues with ours. But I also work in the flooring industry and see houses where somehow dogs have ruined floors.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

I would look over those wood floors carefully with the owner and document any flaws in the floors before you move in. I assume the owner knows you have a big dog and doesn't mind. Be prepared to lose your security deposit. Big dogs can and do hurt wood floors.

8. roger123

roger123

Lots of rugs. Our floors are really scratched up from where our two 60# muts tear around the house chasing each other. One corner area in particular.

3/4" pre-finished oak.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Keep nails trimmed, have rugs and do not let them pee on the wood floors! :supergrin:

10. FPS

FPS

Rugs for sure. I rented a house with all wood floors for a couple of months and I went out and bought some cheap rugs. The floors were pristine when I left the house.

11. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

My hardwood floors are 3years old and look like people have been running around with ice skates on. 60 and 110lb labs. Destroyed.

12. droidfire

droidfire

Dogs, or any pets, cost money. You can have your security deposit back, or get rid of the dogs.

If you don't want to go wall to wall area rugs those are pretty much your two options.

13. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

From having a 110 pound Lab and wood floors for 14 years.

Yes, although a sander and varnish will repair them easily.

14. glocked1

glocked1

You can buy nail covers that are a rubber material and glue on

15. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

It's called "distressed." People actually pay more for that look.

16. Jeremy_K

Jeremy_K

Our hardwood floors are holding up pretty good to our 70lb. German Shepherd pup. She runs around like a maniac daily. She tends to slow down in areas of no traction. We have a large area rug in the living room and smaller area rugs in the halls. I don't know what finish the previous owner put on them but it's pretty tough. One thing we had a problem with was when our last dog vomitted on the hardwood and it sat overnight. It actually raised the edges of the boards and ate the protective coating in that area. Puke is nasty stuff.

17. Crazy KD

Crazy KD

The answer is....It depends on alot of different factors. My 45 lb dog 'distressed' prefinished oak flooring. Translation she destroyed it. That same dog did no damage to our site finished oak floors in another house. The site finishing was a very thick finish. In a third house we built I did my research and bought the hardest floor we could afford which was prefinished Brazilian Teak. Those floors still look absolutely new after a couple of years.

So it truly depends, but my guess is if it is a rental then it is probably prefinished oak flooring which is the cheapest option which will get destroyed.

18. milje

milje

I thought about refinishing the hardwood floors in my house, but am reminded why I don't every day when I come home from work and my lab peels out cartoon style and skids into the living room.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  19. Mr KV

Mr KV

LMAO my Lab/Rotty mix does the same! Little burnouts hahah