Wonder if it would be good idea to reopen America's Fit-It-Shops?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock-O-Rican, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

Before we lived in a throw it away world, we had small businesses all over the USA called Fix-It-Shops. Anyone recall those place?

Things like a Toster, Lawn Mover, Small or large applicants could be taken there, and made like new or repaired to working order for a small fee.

My first 26" Bicycle was apprently rescued from someone trash, my mother dropped it off at a Fix-It-Shop the thing was stripped, rep;aired, regreased. Repainted UGLY GREEN & WHITE. Made like new for what she could afford for a birthday present.

Bike was prized pocession for many years, it was like what today we call RECYCLING. Not as New Idea.

2. cityborncountrylivin

cityborncountrylivin

In NYC it was Radio Row which was demolished to build the World Trade Center. You could get everything from your TV repaired to a new suit made by a tailor from Hong Kong.

Inyo Tim likes this.

3. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

I have a Mr Coffee with a broken switch that I could bring in. It's $18 brand new. Could you replace the switch for $3.

cbetts1 likes this.
  4. ilpirata

ilpirata

Good question.
    I use a couple of local appliance repairmen and an appliance parts store for most of my needs, and my local yard equipment dealer.

We need to change people's mindset on "value" and then educate and encourage them on either fixing it themselves or locating a repair shop. Amazes me that most young people don't own even basic hand tools.

Caver 60, Atomic Punk and Inyo Tim like this.
  5. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

Well the point is things were fixable in the old days. Today RECYCLING & SAVING EARTH is big topic of groups like Earth First, and Sierra Club.

But they do not mind filling up the places the trash truck go, with old Toasters, and other thing that when made fixable lasted for years, and were pass down to the next generation.

Back in the day before anyone ever said RECYCLE we did many things out on nessity, to day people would call RECYCLING.

Coke - A - Cola, and other products came in Glass Reusable Bottles. This was before anyone ever though of a plastic bottle.

Caver 60, Inyo Tim and ilpirata like this.
  6. Glockalong

Glockalong

Electronics have gotten so small and complicated. What would a TV repairman look like?

7. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I've always tried to fix something rather than throw it away. Doing this is getting harder all the time. Sometimes parts are not available. Other times, in their infinite wisdom, the manufacturers cleverly put a computer chip (not needed) that has failed. Think drill motor with a chip.

8. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

I have admiration for what you do, bet you have saved yourself a bunch on GREENBACK over the years.

Caver 60 likes this.
  9. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

10. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

I need an egg shaped gasket for an Optronics boat trailer light. I started looking at tubes of removable submersible caulk/gasket making stuff because bulbs do burn out. $8, $11, $14, etc.

I can get an exact replacement light for $18.23. Oh well, send it. :)

Inyo Tim and Deltic like this.
  11. Deltic

Deltic

The fix it shop can only stay in business if something is cheaper to repair than buy. A guy with talent is going to want decent money for his time, renting shop space cost money. It makes no sense to repair a $12 toaster these days. I don't know the point where something is worth fixing at a shop these days but it is probably well over $100 original price.

12. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

I've replaced some parts a few years ago. I don't get into replacing resistors or capacitors like some people could. The part costs almost as much as what a new 50" 4k tv costs now.

Maybe you could pick some tvs up free to fix cheap with actual components, but you'd have disposal costs for what you couldn't fix and the selling price is getting lower and lower.

13. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

We have an electronics repair shop here. They are swamped. I was looking at $600 dollars minimum to refurbish a 45 year old Marantz amplifier with a 7-9 month wait.

I sold it and bought a new amplifier for $900. It is a comparable amp and is all new.

The old amp would have been refurbished but still have many 45 year old components that could still fail at any minute.

14. RenoF250

RenoF250

I fix all my own stuff. Amazon can be a great help. Just had the shelf in the dishwasher break, took the number off it to Amazon, ordered new parts for $16 (very complicated plastic part). Have also used Amazon for new carburetors etc for lawn equipment. Bought a smoke tool for finding the leak in a fuel system so it would pass smog. That was a huge PITA and would have cost a ton to have a pro do it.

Stuff I cannot fix gets put down with the 45-70 followed by 12 gauge and the video is shown to any other wise acre devices giving me issues.

Flags, Caver 60 and ThatGuyYouKnow like this.
  15. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

If new items become way more expensive then maybe it will be worth fixing the old.

I recently found a Cub Cadet self propelled running mower for free in my neighborhood with a sign saying it did not self propel.

I fixed it with a $20 cable but if it was the transmission just the part was $150.

This was an expensive machine new made in Canada with a thick steel deck and Honda engine. Still it probably would not be worth taking to a shop because of the labor cost.

The air cleaner housing is cracked and held together with electrical tape but I will leave that as-is as it is not worth putting anymore money into it. I am using it as a mulch mower.

I like saving things but many times it is better to just replace as it was for the non-handy previous owner of this mower.

Skidoo likes this.
  16. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow Custom Title Goes Here

With hand-held power tools especially, they have a fuse inside the plastic casket that is usually the first thing to go, so if you can get into the housing and find that fuse, it can usually be replaced for a couple bucks, you just have to wait for it to be shipped from China most times.

Y'all need to watch AvE on YouTube, this guy isn't scared to unscrew some screws and get into the guts of stuff like power tools and coffee makers, and they even work when he puts them back together - usually.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  17. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

I am very mechanically talented. I can fix most anything if parts are available. Unfortunately, things are designed so that 1)Parts are not available from the manufacturer 2) If they are available, it is not cost effective 3) Most people do not have the capability to understand how to fix things. We have, unfortunately become a throw-away society.

ThatGuyYouKnow, Inyo Tim and Caver 60 like this.
  18. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

It can be cheap to fix stuff if you do it yourself. If you've gotta pay someone forget about it, might as well buy new. I read an article that yes modern things are built much cheaper and not as durable as those things made in the past, but the reality is that with the progress of technology most tv's, appliances, etc are no longer desirable or efficient compared to new within 5-10 years.

Also the cost of todays electronics and appliances relative to the value of a dollar is significantly lower. TV's are cheap! I can get a sweet 55" HDTV for a couple hundred bucks, much more TV for my buck than the 36" JVC TV my dad was so proud of back in 1995 that cost about what a 55" is now.

I hate the planned obsolescence inherent in todays consumer goods, and I am very handy and try to fix everything, but you can either get on with it or whine, the world is cheap and disposable, its what we as a culture want and we vote for it everyday with our dollars.

ThatGuyYouKnow likes this.
  19. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

My neighbor the gunsmith got out of the trade because he could not depend on getting parts for guns people were still hunting with.
    He got back in later but by being very selective what he would work on.
    He hated fooling with those Remington Model 10 and 29 shotguns anyhow, even though he had gotten used to the Brownings coming in in cigar boxes.

20. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

I think somebody eluded to this earlier, but things have to be made to be fixable.