close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Won a 700 SPS - Competition Suggestions needed

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by cutler686, Jan 17, 2010.

1. cutler686

cutler686 10-12

I just won a rifle and have been considering getting into local competition shooting. I am fairly accurate with this rifle and wanted to get thoughts on modifications.

I know this is somewhat of a lower end rifle:
    Remingtion Model 700 SPS Varmint in a .308.

My question is this; Is it worth sticking some money in or should I be considering something more high end for competition?

I have a 2.5-16x42 Bushnell Elite 6500 on another deer rifle that I have been thinking of swapping onto the 700 and am looking at fitting a mcmillan varmint stock onto it.

Am I "overshooting" the abilities of this rifle?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Cutler

2. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Michaelangelo didn't make statues, he chisled away the stone that wasn't part of the statue. Your Michaelangelo is in there somewhere. :thumbsup:

3. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

The Remington 700 is a fine action. If you want to be a serious competitor you might need to have the action blueprinted and trued and perhaps fit a new barrel, but you should be able to start shooting as soon as you fit sights and accessories approptiate to the game that you want to shoot it in. Of course for some things you will need the new stock you mentioned to support things like hand stops etc.

What game are you thinking of?

4. Randy from Kansas

Randy from Kansas

I agree with RonS the Rem 700 is a fine action. Before you start to drop any money into any sport go play with what you have. I know you can shoot with a factory 308 in Hunter Benchrest if you want. Go to a match in your area and spend some time talking to who ever is running the match he may have some bags you can borrow and shoot a few rounds. Or better yet call him or her up and speak to them about using a rest. Bring lots of ammo you will use 50 to 60 rounds for each yardage. Most matchs have 100 yd and 200 yd and some also have 300 yd matchs. Thats 150 to 180 rounds of 308 you would need. Your shoulder will be a hurting but its alot of fun.

5. cutler686

cutler686 10-12

Well there is a two gun pistol rifle match in June. The match ends with a few 200 yd shots but from what I understand it is more focused on hand gun proficiency.

I am more interested in long range (300+), if I can find something in my area.

Not sure if this rifle is going to be used for dear as well but given the dear population in northern wisconsin this year, I may take a year or two off anyway.

Thanks for your input.