Women Voters

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RyanSBHF, Oct 1, 2004.

1. RyanSBHF

RyanSBHF Senior Member

If you ladies wouldn't mind helping, this is for a school assignment. My History professor told us to write a report on a minority groups voting activity. I got assigned women. He said it needed to include people you know, and not just historical statistics. Here's what he wants to know:

1) Who did you vote for in the 1984 election?
    2) The 1988 election?
    3) The 1992 election?
    4) The 1996 election?
    5) The 2000 election?
    6) Who are you voting for in 2004?
    7) Are you a Rep/Dem/GP/LP/other?
    8) Despite party affiliation, are you more liberal or conservative?
    9) What attracts you most to the side you picked in question 8?
    10) How important are politics to you?

I'd like to have about 25 responses for the project and already have 7 from my mom and her sisters. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

2. c-mama

c-mama

1) I didn't vote - I wasn't old enough
    2) George Bush
    3) George Bush
    4) Bob Dole
    5) George Bush
    6) George Bush
    7) Rep
    8) Conservative
    9) Abortion issues, 2nd ammendment rights
    10) Politics are more important to me, this election, than they have been in the past. I am reading more on what's going on and trying to figure out what's important to me as a wife and a mom.

---

Good luck!

3. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

let see.

1. not old enough
    2. george bush
    3. george bush
    4. didn't vote, can't remember why not
    5. george bush
    6. george bush
    7. rep
    8. conservative
    9. abortion, 2A rights, death penalty
    10. very, now that i'm a mom and i see how insane this world we live in is getting. didn't think about it as much before i had chilren.

4. SlimKim

SlimKim

1) Don't remember. Maybe didn't vote
    2) Bush
    3) Bush
    4) Dole
    5) Bush
    6) Bush
    7) Republican
    8) Once upon a time I was more liberal than conservative but once I started to actually think about the liberal ideas I gradually switched to my present conservative leanings.
    9) On principle, the republicans stress personal responsibility whereas the democratic position leans more toward "government-knows-best".
    10) Somewhat important. When it comes to my personal freedom to run my life the way I want to I become very interested in what the politicians are doing.

Hope you get an A

By the way, don't tell your professor you got some of your responses from this site; he'ld certainly disallow such "Right-wing Propaganda" ;Q

5. RyanSBHF

RyanSBHF Senior Member

Hope you get an A

By the way, don't tell your professor you got some of your responses from this site; he'ld certainly disallow such "Right-wing Propaganda" ;Q [/B][/QUOTE]

Sadly, my professor is a total left winger. He views anyone to the right of Sean Penn as an "extremist" ;g

6. SlimKim

SlimKim

Uh-oh. Think you have a problem here. Maybe, if this is an important course you should use Brady-math. You know, count each democrat, anti-gun, liberal answer as 2 or 3 votes. Voting for Clinton gives a bonus point. This way you can "prove" that all women are liberal-democrat, anti-gun, pro-abortion people who really don't care about politics unless the candidate is cute.

At least you'ld get your A ;Q

Of course, if you can afford to flunk the course you could always; dare I say it; tell the truth. ;P

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

1. Not old enough
    2. Not old enough
    3. Not old enough
    4. Damn sure wasn't slick Willie but I can't remember who...
    5. Bush
    6. Bush
    7. Registered as a Democrat but I am nonpartisian in the way I vote ;)
    8. Conservative
    9. Their values most closely match my values
    10.Well, I vote but I also recognize that majority rules. Very few people I know vote based on the person--they vote based on party affiliation. For example, we have some really moronic county commissioners who were elected just to get the other party out. Party affiliation is the last thing I look out when choosing a candidate. I look at the person's values, beliefs, platform, hopes for the future and what kind of skeletons are in thier closet. We all have skeletons but are thiers acceptable? In the end, it boils down to choosing the lesser of two evils a lot of the time :( Politics controls everything from minimun wage to access to health care to education to inflation whether or not people recognize it. All they have to do to change these things is vote. Moaning, groaning and griping won't make a difference.

8. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

1. I was 17 and not old enough yet.
    2. George HW Bush
    3. George HW Bush
    4. Dole. Incidentally, I broke from the NOW this same year due to their support of a womaninzing, cheating Bill Clinton.
    5. George W Bush
    6. George W Bush
    7. Registered as a Republican.
    8. I am more conservative than liberal, especially in matters of foreign policy, finances & taxes, homeland security, social security and 2nd amendment rights. I am more liberal when it comes to abortion rights (I believe abortion should be legal and available) and stem cell research.
    9. I tend to agree moreso with Bush on those issues which I think are the MOST important in the entire election--namely security, taxes, foreign policy. If we were seriously looking to overturn Roe v. Wade, Kerry might get my vote (I don't feel a group encompassed primarily by MEN (congress) should be telling women what they can and cannot do with their own bodies).
    10. VERY. Single women encompass the largest single minority group in America. It is said that either candidate could carry this election if they were to sway the single female voters alone.

9. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I don't know if this helps you at all, today after work I am going to go to register to vote for the first time in my life. I am 28 years old. I read something somewhere that said that if you didn't vote, don't complain. This made me think. So, my thought processes are more conservative, and Republican. Important issues to me are the pro-life issues, Second Ammendment rights (obviously) and the death penalty, among others. In the past, politics have not been as important to me, the more I learn, the more important they become.

10. jenn1270

jenn1270

Wow...it is quite refreshing to see so many 20 and 30 somethings ladies with so much in common. Guns and politics. I always thought I was an oddity because I work in a very liberal environment (academia) and have some very conservative views but believe that abortion and stem cell research should be legal, just as I believe in the right defend myself with a firearm.

Jenn

11. c-mama

c-mama

Glockgirl, I am so happy to hear you are going to register to vote. Good for you!

:cool:

12. Melissa Ann

Melissa Ann

1) Who did you vote for in the 1984 election? Ronald Reagan
    2) The 1988 election? George Bush
    3) The 1992 election? George Bush
    4) The 1996 election? Bob Dole
    5) The 2000 election? George W. Bush
    6) Who are you voting for in 2004? George W. Bush
    7) Are you a Rep/Dem/GP/LP/other? Republican
    8) Despite party affiliation, are you more liberal or conservative? Conservative
    9) What attracts you most to the side you picked in question 8?
    2nd Amendment rights and protecting the rights of unborn babies (if you want to have sex, and don’t want to end up pregnant, use birth control pills and condoms – abortion should not be considered a means of birth control) are my two top issues in every election.
    10) How important are politics to you?
    VERY important, although I get so disgusted by politics (especially the campaigning) in general, I usually don’t pay a lot of attention to it most of the time. A few months before it’s time to vote, I’ll look into the candidates to see who I agree with on most issues (2nd Amendment, abortion, terrorism/national & homeland security, taxes, death penalty, education, healthcare, etc), and make my decision then.

Hope this helps and Good luck on your project!

13. Jaegergirl

something along those lines.... i've had several people say to me "you went to college and your a republican!!!!??" like being a college graduate has anything to do with the fact i'm conservative republican.

RyanSBHF... regarding questions 7-9, to me, party affiliation doesn't matter as much as how closely a candidate's views match my own. even though i'm a registered republican, i would vote for a pro-life, pro-gun democrat if the republican running in opposition was pro-choice, anti-gun if there was such a person.

you'll have to let us know how you do on the project.:)

14. c-mama

c-mama

Same goes for me. ;)

15. Melissa Ann

Melissa Ann

That's really wierd. I was more liberal BEFORE I went to college - all the wierd stuff I saw there straightened me right out. ;a My sisters however are a bit more liberal. We all went to college - maybe it's more to do with WHERE we went to college and/or where we live now. 1 sister went to college about 45 miles from me - in the great midwest - relatively conservative there however, she now lives in California - 'splains that. ;) And my other sis lives in the Boston area, went to a girls college up there, pretty liberal. on some issues, they're both still pretty conservative tho. Interesting...

16. Jaegergirl

yeah, i thought it was weird, too. i grew up/and still live in ne ohio and went to college in nw pa. so i'm not sure if geography has anything to do with it. maybe it has to do with the fact that the people who i've "shocked" with the fact i'm a republican didn't go to college?? who knows. it's weird none-the-less. :)

17. Neva

Neva

You ought to see the reaction I get.... I graduated from U of M, which is Liberal in a huge way, and I'm a female public high school science teacher in Detroit... while getting my Masters degree, I was once told, out of the clear blue sky, to "please remember firearms may not be brought to campus functions", as if I could forget!

I'm also an NRA certified instructor, LFI alumna and operate a pro gun web site...

Most folks in my workday world act like I'm from another planet altogether...

;b

18. RyanSBHF

RyanSBHF Senior Member

Thanks to everyone who answered. I got a B- and he also asked, "Why did you make it biased by asking mostly conservative women?"

19. c-mama

c-mama

20. Jaegergirl

good job! :) thanks for the update.