close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Woman Pulls out Gun to Prevent Smart Meter Installation

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GlockPistola, Jul 19, 2012.

1. GlockPistola

GlockPistola

2. Adjuster

Adjuster

I don't see this going well for her.

/

3. zoyter2

zoyter2 Yeah, so what?

First, someone needs to lose a gun.

Then the power company needs to cut off this idiot's power, remove everything from the service entry cable out, and require a court order (long and well fought) before restoring power.

4. Brucev

Brucev

How is this not covered under SYG? The power company employee did keep pushing her. Is he to be permitted to come onto private property and assault a homeowner simply because he was "doing his job?" :whistling:

5. ray9898

ray9898

The should cut her power....forever. As for 'pushing her away', he could be reacting to her putting hands on him while he was working.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  6. lno762

lno762

Wow! This lady just HAD to be from Texas, too! Makin us look crazy....

7. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Apparently he put hands on the woman. An assault.

From the time she told him to get off her property he was trespassing.

Trespassing and assault can damned sure get you shot in Texas.

Personally, I won't allow a "smart meter" on my place either.

8. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

Did any of you actually read the article? The power worker was pushing her out of the way. Last time I checked, that's assault.

Is it ok for someone you don't know, to come on your property, and assault you?

The worker should have immediately left after she told him to leave, but he pretty much said "**** you".

If someone tells you to get off their property, its probably a good idea.

9. napp32

napp32

Wonder what her GT screen name is?

10. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

It does not sound good for her. Depends on how worker was. She MIGHT have a prayer. I figure I have enough stuff running if they care when I am online......

11. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

For the power company. it is a cost saver. No people to go out and get readings. However, the box should only transmit at certain times. Like every week. Not a second by second usage chart.

It is like reading your mail. Personally, reguardless of how they are doing this. They are not getting the home owners permission. Yes, when you get power, gas and water. They have a right to have access to the meter. To me, thi smeans. To read the meter or repair it.

This will hold up I think. It is Texas. If it was here in Michigan. She would be in jail already....

12. Brucev

Brucev

Just thinking out loud... but the property owner clearly told the employee to leave her property. At that point, he had no legal recourse but to leave. He pushed her. Any way you want to look at it, that is at a minimum a physical assault. She had every legitimate right to protect herself and her property.

The company will have a very hard time doing anything at all except training their employees in what they can and cannot do when they go onto private property. Cool.

As to the "smart meter," if it only records the amount of usage, fine. That is all the old meters did. If it records when usage occurs, what is being operated, etc., then that is very much an unwarranted invasion of privacy.

13. Adjuster

Adjuster

I am pretty sure when you agree to purchase electricity and use the electric companys equipment you give them permission to your property to access their equipment.

/

14. Caver 60

Caver 60

I might be totally wrong, but don't the power companies have an easement when the lines cross onto your property? I've got an easement on my place where a power line crosses my property. Pretty sure this easement allows them to access equipment they have placed on your property? Might be wrong.

Plus I've had a smart meter for years. Never had any problems. And best of all the power company doesn't have to come up my quarter mile driveway onto my property every month to read the meter. Win win all the way around as far as I'm concerned.

Now if they start charging me a different rate than my neighbor, because of my power usage, or shutting my power off if I exceed certain parameters, then I might care.

15. Brucev

Brucev

Doubtless you are correct that the company by contracting for such service, the company is permitted to come onto private property to service equipment. But, when the property owner clearly tells the employee to leave her property the employee has no legal right to remain on her property. At that point he is trespassing. When the employe pushed her, it was clearly a physical assault. There is not other possible way to explain what happened. The employe acted beyond the law. He and the company he represents needs to be held accountable. The property owner should be applauded.

16. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

17. devildog2067

devildog2067

1) No meter can record "what is being operated." That's not what meters on power lines do. They can only record how much power is going through the line.

2) I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the Constitution that says "the electric company may only record your total usage." They generate the power, after all. They know how much is being used and when--they HAVE to, it's part of managing demand. Measuring that at the point of final consumption rather than at the point of generation or some intermediate point of transmission is a difference of degree only.

If you don't want to buy power according to the electricity company's rules... don't.

18. lno762

lno762

19. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Her not letting the meter guy on her property to switch meters is a violation of her contract for power service (civil matter). Him not leaving when ordered is trespassing (criminal) and him laying hands on her is assualt (criminal) and also exposes his company to civil liability since he was operating in an official capacity.

The correct course of action should have been to just cut off her power until she complied with the smart meter installation.

20. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

Where I live, if you don't let them install a smart meter they charge an extra $35 or so a month.

Although I didn't want it, I let them install it.