Glock Talk banner

Woman and Gun Shopping

1442 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  nelsone
I have had many discussions with people over the years that for some reason, will swear that Revolvers are the best choice for carry for women and Men should carry Semi-Auto.

Personally, I do not agree with this and I think that perpetuating this belief is only going to hurt the shooting community as a whole.

I made a video about this if anyone is interested in checking it out : Women and Gun Shopping
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
24,006 Posts
I have had many discussions with people over the years that for some reason, will swear that Revolvers are the best choice for carry for women and Men should carry Semi-Auto.

Personally, I do not agree with this and I think that perpetuating this belief is only going to hurt the shooting community as a whole.

I made a video about this if anyone is interested in checking it out : Women and Gun Shopping
Supply Clerk.:rofl:

· Registered
213 Posts
I think this got started because ladies in general have smaller hands, and some ladies' hands aren't strong enough to easily rack the slide on some semi-autos. There's also the ease of loading the rounds. I carry a semi-auto but when we go to the range, my husband is much faster at loading the magazine than I am. He has bigger thumbs. :upeyes:

That said, you're absolutely right; I'm fully capable of adapting to my dwarf-like hands and carrying whatever pistol I darn well please.

· Yippee-ki-yay
1,306 Posts
While my wife and I were leaving our lane a few women came in and were learning to shoot. They had revolvers. Wifey looked at me and said "aren't those guns old?"

I'm not being rude at all, but I was thinking maybe it's because men think that a woman wouldn't be able to clear a malfunction or it's just "simple" to shoot a revolver?

· Registered
213 Posts
I'm not being rude at all, but I was thinking maybe it's because men think that a woman wouldn't be able to clear a malfunction or it's just "simple" to shoot a revolver?
Possibly. Also, many guys tend to geek out over stuff like guns. They like to learn things like how to clear jams, how to take it apart and clean it, how to order upgrades online. Many women don't want to have to fiddle with it. I think that *in general* men tend to be enthusiasts, while women see it as a tool they carry to do a job. They don't want to have to worry about cleaning all the moving parts. They don't want to have to worry about learning to clear a jam. They just want it to work without thinking about it.

It's sorta like changing your oil. Most people who change their own oil are men. Not because women are incapable of changing their oil, but because deep down, guys get this primal thrill from doing manly stuff and getting their hands dirty. Women don't want to have to deal with it.

· Registered
441 Posts
My wife likes simplicity, when it comes to handguns nothing is more simple than a DA revolver so that is what I bought her. She wanted a S&W Model 60LS because of it's size, and because she thought the grips were pretty.

· Registered
17,442 Posts

my wife would agree with you. When she took her ccw class I tried to get her to use a 3" smith chiefs special. She hated the double action trigger pull. I'm the class.she got.to.try glocks 17, 19, and 26. She chose the 19.

· Registered
1,028 Posts
In general, I'd agree that a revolver is a better choice for a woman.

For home defense, I'd recommend a revolver over a semi-auto to any novice shooter regardless of gender. It's too easy to limp-wrist a semi-automatic.

Women have smaller, less massive hands and are therefore more subject to limp-wristing.

Racking the slide is another issue I've seen with women.

All that being said, with the proper practice and training I think a semi-auto is a fine choice for a woman or a man.

· AKA Fluffy316
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know a woman who is 5'4" 115lbs and can shoot circles around most men with a 1911 .45acp.

Sorry guys, she is married.

Anywho, I think that testosterone gets in the way of common sense and that turns women off from wanting to participate.

My GF is a small woman and she has issues handling a Glock due to the girth of the grip, however, she has found that the HK USP/C is right up her alley.

She tried a S&W 642 and hated it.

Anywho, I am glad that some of you enjoyed the video.

· Registered
315 Posts
I think people just like what they like! :supergrin:
Me too! My wife loves shooting my G19's, and can handle them very well in every way, but she still prefers revolvers! I prefer semi autos myself, but I can appreciate a good revolver! Preferences are the main factor in this choice IMO!

· rank amateur
676 Posts
The thickness and weight of revolvers is a negative with petite females who refuse to "dress around" their CCW. I don't blame them - why look baggy if you don't have to?

My bride's .380 hides against her slender frame no matter what she's wearing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.