close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

wolf springs?

Discussion in 'Heckler & Koch Forum' started by slammed89swb, Feb 12, 2007.

1. slammed89swb

slammed89swb

Whats the deal with these things? Whats the point? are they mag springs,recoil springs?

2. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Phil Deez Nutz

All sorts. Hammer springs, recoil springs, mag springs, firing pin springs.

You can get reduced power, stock power, and plus power.

3. slammed89swb

slammed89swb

so you mean to lessen recoil?

4. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Phil Deez Nutz

Yes.

Playing with recoil springs can either lessen the felt recoil or increase cycle speed.

If you replace the hammer springs you can reduce the trigger pull weight. In the USP going with a lighter hammer spring doesn't take a lot of weight off the pull (maybe 1/2 a pound). If you want to make the USP trigger better you need to polish the engagement surfaces. Going with too light of a hammer spring can cause light strikes to the primer.

I replaced the hammer spring in Sig P239 with a -2lb spring and really like the results. No light strikes either.

5. Chowser

Chowser

speaking of Wolff Springs, I just picked up a set of +10% magazine springs for my USP Compact .45. Now, I cannot load the 8th round in. Anyone else have this problem. The spring itself is longer than stock. I will see if I have the same problem in a .357 magazine.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  6. beretta-neo

beretta-neo

Yes, just load it up and leave them loaded a while. Try to force that last round in as soon as you can, and then leave them loaded.

I've replaced the mag springs on many HK mags, as their stock springs tend to stop locking the slide back after 3-4 range trips on every USPc I have ever owned.

I also would take a pen and just work the follower up and down several times. between these two things, I'd get faster break in on the springs. Without breaking them in, I could actually feel the harsher feeding of the gun on the +10% mags I hadn't yet broken in. It's like they were pushing up TOO hard, and almost, but not quite, making the gun want to jam. I especially noticed this on a USPc45 I once had - until the springs broke in.

7. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

my buddies USPc .45 needed mag springs. its the same spring in all the USPc mags, or at least the pn is the same.

but ive got about 20 mags for my uspc 9mm. none of them have ever failed. ive got a couple of 10rd mags ive used exclusively for range use that have about 10K rounds through the group. never an issue. about once a year i test one or two of the mags i keep loaded and then put fresh SD ammo in them. ive never had an issue. maybe im lucky.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  8. LSP972

LSP972

Ditto. I have at least that many for my USP Compact .45 and HK45C. Some of them have been used steadily since I acquired the first pistol in 2004, and they look it. But they still work flawlessly; and have their original springs as supplied from HK.

I have been mystified by this for quite a while. I have more than a few associates locally who regularly shoot HKs, as well... a couple of USPc .45s, two P30s, etc. None of those guys have any magazine issues either. I have to wonder if this "magazine spring problem" falls into the same category as the "My HK shoots low!" posts...

OTOH, between my wife and me, we have ten HK handguns and well over 60 HK magazines of various types. ALL have been flawless in function. I've had more trouble with Glock magazines than any of these HKs... and the Glock mag is about as bullet-proof as they come.

Dunno... perhaps I'm "lucky" too?????

9. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

Uh,...yes.

10. hktoter

hktoter

I put the lightest Wolf Hammer spring in my USP9f and it made a huge difference in the trigger pull.