Wolf recoil spring assembly for the Glock 27... need some help

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by kashton, Sep 9, 2007.

1. kashton

kashton EMT-Paramedic

I am looking to buy a Wolf recoil spring assembly to strengthen my gun up a little bit.

I am not sure what all I need to purchase:
    http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/GlockNF.html#G26

I have to choose between a 14/16/18/20/22 lb spring and I'm not sure which one I need to buy.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Kevin

2. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

Matt from Custom Glock racing has posted the opinion that the 'baby' Glocks are best left in stock configuration in regards to recoil assemblies.
    I tend to agree.
    I haven't found any aftermarket parts that are beneficial either.

What are you looking to strengthen?

If you're going to go that route,I'd say get the spring weight that is the same as factory at least.

3. kraigster414

kraigster414

Kevin, the Wolf after-market non-captured recoil assembly in my opinion, is a must-have in the Glock subcompacts, particularly the harder hitting G27 and G33 models. I don't care what anyone says and there are a good many shooters who will echo my sentiments. I had the OEM captured assembly fail apart after firing 300 rounds in a recently-manufactured G27. Granted, my experience may have been the exception but it only has to happen to you once in a carry weapon to make you a believer. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THE STOCK OEM PART AGAIN. I believe the OEM part is the single weakest link in the Glock subcompacts and the Wolf to be a far more reliable and robust part. I have now fired thousands of .40SW and .357 SIG with the Wolf without a single hiccup.

It's one thing to have a critical part fail at the range, it's quite a different story to have one fail in a worst case scenario therefore the recommendation to "keep a few extra parts on hand" is ludicrous - the goal is keep the odds in your favor to the extent possible. I have NEVER heard of the Wolf non-captured recoil assembly failing in a Glock subcompact.

To answer your question since I am a user and not a best-guess estimator who's never used the part, the factory rated 16# Wolf spring is sufficient for 9mm and .40SW in the Glock 26 and 27 respectively. When I shoot .357 SIG out of my G27, I use the higher rated 18# spring. Below is the Wolf (NP3'd by Robar) in a G27.

[​IMG]

4. kashton

kashton EMT-Paramedic

Would the #18 work for the .40 as well? So I would not have to buy two.

5. kraigster414

kraigster414

Yes it would Kevin but springs are cheap. :) I don't think you need the 18# with .40 but it does help to tame the .357 SIG. Glock uses the same recoil assembly (same rated spring) in the G27 and the G33. I think it is underpowered in the G33 (.357 SIG). I would mix and match and see what you prefer.

6. kashton

kashton EMT-Paramedic

That's a good idea. Where did you buy them from? Or do you have to order them directly from wolf.

7. kraigster414

kraigster414

From Wolf. Whatever spring you decide on, do a 200 round test for carry. There should be no failures of any kind before you elect to carry. Seems like it would be simple enough just to use the 16# for .40 and the 18# for .357 SIG. That's what I do.

By the way, I recommend for carry that you use dedicated .357 SIG mags or .357 SIG magazine followers in your .40 mags. That's what Glock recommends and I agree though for practice, most shooters report no problems using .40 mags for .357 SIG. The followers between the two are slightly different in the Glocks but not in other guns.

www.glockparts.com sells both dedicated .357 SIG and .40 SW mags and followers. They are good people.