close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wok?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by AdobeGlock, Jul 14, 2006.

1. AdobeGlock

AdobeGlock

What kind of a wok do you guys use? My wife wants one?

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

I have all kinds of pots and pans, knives and gadgets...
    The only Wok I've ever had that I actually used is a Gringo type like this---

[​IMG]

---and even this doesn't get used as much as the non-stick Dutch Oven...

:beer:

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

is good for electric burners.

The hammered steel is best for gas. (usually near the least expensive in a Chinese store and yes you have got to season it to make it nonstick. Don't use soap after the first wash before use, and the flavors of the food cooked in it get better the more it is used.)

It has the benefit of allowing you to move food up the side for slowing the cooking.

I don't think that Teflon is a wise choice because you want to use a wok on the highest heat you've got.

4. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Don't get an electric wok... I had one and it worked pretty good for a few months then it quit getting hot enough... So I focked the Wok...:freak:

5. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Do it right: CARBON STEEL. They have to be seasoned and once they are they are awesome (they turn black with use).

An excellent brand is Atlas.

6. JPinAZ

JPinAZ

If you really want stir fry (or other wok-prepared food) like you get in a restaurant, you need lots of heat & a regular kitchen stove won't give you enough. Use the burner from a turkey fryer & get the wok almost red hot & you'll be good to go.

7. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

+30,000 (BTU, har, har)

JPinAZ is exactly right. I've tried them all, electric, gas, teflon, Calphalon, hand-hammered. It's all kinda irrelevant unless you have a 20,000 or 30,000 BTU burner under it.

I'm not just taking for crazy professionals either. Ever make a stir-fry and wonder why all the liquid just oozes out of the meat and veggies and you end up with a nice pool at the bottom? Or ever wonder why the cuts of meat end up tough as shoe leather by the time they are cooked through?

The reason is because a regular stove doesn't put out enough heat. The food should SCREAM when it enters a properly heated wok. The moisure will evaporate into those nice, thick glazes (with a little help from the corn starch) and the food will cook quickly as it is supposed to.

-Stooxie

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Woks were used to cook over a small hot flame. Read twigs or bundles of straw.

If you turn whatever burner you have on high and leave the Wok on it it will get hot enough to glow.

At home you are not using a restaurant sized one anyway.

You cut the food into Small Bite Sized pieces.

You don't overload the Wok and it will work just fine!