Witness holes on magazines?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Jamesey, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Jamesey

Jamesey

Many if not most pistol magazines have witness holes, making it easy to see how many rounds are left. I haven't seen such holes in AR mags yet, and being still a newbie I wonder if it would be a good or bad idea. I lost count when loading up my new plain aluminum mags; I had to count out 30 beforehand and then load up. I thought maybe a hole for every 5 rounds would help. Then again, holes could let in dust, grit, etc. Did I just answer my own question on why AR mags lack witness holes?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

[​IMG]

Even better..........

:cool:

SJ 40 likes this.

3. Jamesey

Jamesey

I thought about transparent mags about 5 minutes after posting. I have a feeling that the basic aluminum would be more durable. Also, some videos I watched during my self education had some plastic/polymer mags that wouldn't work as well as the more common GI type mags.

4. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil

[​IMG]

As for actual drilled holes, consider that pistol mags are enclosed by the grip, while rifle mags are mostly exposed.

Steel Head and GP4L like this.
  5. maxmanta

maxmanta

I've never had problems with my plastic magpuls.

intenseneal and GP4L like this.
  6. GP4L

GP4L

You semi-answered your own question. Most pistol magazines are fully inside the pistol's mag well (unless you are Rambo running around with 33rd sticks). However most of the AR's magazine isn't inside the mag well. So, yeah, dust, dirt, etc. could be a concern. Also the manufacturing GI mags were intended to be done as cheap as possible. As stupid as that sounds, it would cost more money per unit to drill peep holes in the magazine, which doesn't provide any real benefit anyways. Hell it took the military (knowingly) decades to introduce just simple anti-tilt followers for our troops, which DOES provide reliability advantages at a minimal cost increase. Regarding counting out rounds before hand, I say F that. Just keep popping rounds in until it's full.

I like windowed pmags. Gives you a good enough idea how many rounds are in there, and far and away the most battle proven magazine aside from traditional metal GI mags. Many, MANY other AR magazines out there are complete, or nearly complete, garbage. There's plenty of legitimate content on the internet to help decipher quality from junk

7. gooffeyguy

gooffeyguy In the STL

If I lose count when loading a mag I just load it till it doesn't take any more. Easy

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk

Cain8768 likes this.
  8. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Use a Maglula; when no more want to fit, quit. GI mags work just fine.
    Moon

9. intenseneal

intenseneal

Clear Lancer mags, Pmags or Pmags with window are gtg.

SJ 40 and Glockdude1 like this.
  10. Taz

Taz

Excellent points on the dirt and grime getting into a mag. USGI mags are designed for the average GI who gets crap dirty, filthy and eventually breaks it. Their source of supply is also totally different than ours. The ammo is boxed in 30 rounds boxes not 20 like civilian ammo. Ammo on stripper clips is in 10 per clip. Even the dumbest grunt can count to 3.

Plastic mags work awesome. My Magpul Pmags have had thousands of rounds through them. No issues. USMC just standardized on gen3 PMAGS going forward so they can't be all that bad.

GP4L likes this.
  11. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

This is the answer for polymer magazines with durability,Lancer.

http://store.lancer-systems.com/

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/26...rfighter-magazine-ar-15-223-remington-polymer

There is a reason Styer chose them as there magazine of choice,the Sig jumped on the bandwagon with their MPX magazine system.
    SJ 40

dkf likes this.
  12. intenseneal

intenseneal

Lancer is my first pick now for mags, Pmag is 2nd, GI mags with anti tilt follower is 3rd. Lance4 mags are tough and seem to last.

SJ 40 likes this.
  13. HammerG19

HammerG19 A short American.

Magpul PMag Gen3 is now standard issue for USMC in black and fde. Aluminum mags are now to be used only for training.

GP4L likes this.
  14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Smoke color Lancer or windowed Gen 3 P-Mag is all I will be buying going forward.

15. Gaston_Convert

Gaston_Convert

+1 for Lancer mags. I also like that they have steel feed lips.

SJ 40 likes this.