Witless for the Prosecution: New York DA Forces Staff to Forgo Second Amendment Rights

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glockman66, Sep 27, 2015.

1. glockman66

glockman66

Something tells me that the New York, Nassau County DA's Office will very quickly develop a large number of resignations and the new job openings will never be filled until Madeline Singas is either fired or she resigns. :supergrin::animlol::animlol:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...forces-staff-to-forgo-second-amendment-rights
    Witless for the Prosecution: New York DA Forces Staff to Forgo Second Amendment Rights
    Friday, September 25, 2015

2. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

The article says

but on closer inspection, it later says that she "asks" that prosecutors don't keep handguns at home. There's no way that it could be legally binding; Lionel Hutz himself could get that one thrown out.

Of course, I'm just an armchair gun-board lawyer and this is New York after all, so who knows?

3. Bruce M

Bruce M

It will be interesting to see if this policy actually causes any attorney to leave. I do wonder about a veteran attorney working thete who may happen to have had a gun and permit for a few years (if there are any.) In some places being a prosecutor can help obtaining a permit.

4. glockman66

glockman66

Why in the world would having to be a prosecutor be needed to be helpful in getting a permit. IMHO, if you are a law abiding citizen and can pass a background check, that should be the only requirement to get a permit.

chiefjack likes this.
  5. glockman66

glockman66

Do you subscribe to "selective reading" and cherry picking???
    ..."First, they’re not simply “asking” their employees to follow a suggested practice.A document linked to in Prof. Volokh’s story clearly indicates the handgun ban is a mandatory condition of employment. Titled “Assistant District Attorney Application Information & Instruction Form,” it requires the applicant to acknowledge: “I understand that assistant district attorneys are not permitted to apply for a handgun permit nor own or possess a handgun while employed by the Nassau County District Attorney.”...

6. fastbolt

fastbolt

It wouldn't surprise me to find the office would have no problem finding applicants who had no interest in owning, let alone carrying, a handgun for personal defense.

Also, if it's a mandatory condition of employment for applicants, does it even affect existing employees, who were presumably hired under different terms and conditions of employment prior to the new conditions?

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Not every stste has adopted "shall issue" permit laws.

8. glockman66

glockman66

That is the very reason that I would NEVER LIVE in one of "THOSE" states!!!

9. janice6

janice6

The employees are required to adhere to this as a condition of employment.

It is not a suggestion.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...forces-staff-to-forgo-second-amendment-rights

"........A document linked to in Prof. Volokh’s story clearly indicates the handgun ban is a mandatory condition of employment. Titled “Assistant District Attorney Application Information & Instruction Form,” it requires the applicant to acknowledge: “I understand that assistant district attorneys are not permitted to apply for a handgun permit nor own or possess a handgun while employed by the Nassau County District Attorney.”

10. fastbolt

fastbolt

Except the linked article is long on angst, and short on specificity and facts.

I can think of a number of important "from this day forward" employee-related policy changes that have occurred, but which could only affect new-hires beginning after a specific future date-of-hire. Existing employees remained covered under a previous MOU that covered their conditions of employment when they were hired.

This is also something commonly seen when it comes to eligibility and enrollment in some pay and retirement tiers and programs, COLA eligibility, etc.

I'm mildly curious if the existing attorneys in that office are represented by a union, and whether this is even something covered in an existing MOU and/or an attached side letter.

The wordy, but not really informative, article seems to loosely refer to the new policy as something that affects people receiving employee rules when receiving applications for employment. So, is this something that's going to affect new employees (applicants), or something that is being forced on existing employees hired under a different policy? Was this even addressed under a previous policy? Can firearms be banned from the workplace for all employees, but existing employees can still keep their firearms and licenses for use away from their working environment? What's it really mean?

Bruce M likes this.
  11. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

Piss on them. It's NY. If the morons are willing to go along with it they deserve every evil that befalls them.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Even if they do not have a union they may have a leg up on the average employee when it.cpmes to employment related legal issues.

:supergrin:

13. glockman66

glockman66

It seems to me that you are trying more to discredit the article rather than be concerned that people are being forced not to be able to defend themselves?

14. glockman66

glockman66

+1

15. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

16. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

17. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Actually the OP linked article has a link to the original article which has a link to the application document being discussed. I've added that link in my post above.

18. fastbolt

fastbolt

Okay, they're at-will employees, without civil service protection. No organized union and/or legal representation?

Something stated in another article caught my attention.
    "Our practice of asking prosecutors to not possess handguns is to ensure the safety and comfort of staff, victims, and witnesses, and is consistent with other district attorney’s offices in the New York City metropolitan area."
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rosecutors-from-having-handguns-even-at-home/

If that's the case, then this may not be some little prosecutor's office doing something for the first time. Maybe it's based upon similar existing policy that's already been used in other offices? Was there any furor over that?

19. fastbolt

fastbolt

Nothing of the sort.

Rather than simply jump on the furor, ire, doom & gloom wagon, I'd prefer to see less emotional response and more clarity and facts before working up the energy to start jumping to conclusions.

Is this even something that a current employee, or a prospective applicant, has complained about? Or, has some 'watchdog' RKBA journalist or organization just decided that this is their issue of the moment?

If the quoted statement in this other article I linked (in my other post) is correct, is this more of a normal practice/policy than something new?

I have an inherent dislike of jumping on some wagon before I know where it's going, why it's going there, whether there's any construction problems involving the wagon, whether it's being pulled by horses or oxen (quick or plodding), and whether there's any personal agenda in play on the part of the driver. ;)

20. racerford

racerford

So they have a dislike for people exercising first or second amendment rights.

I am surprised that this has not gone to court previously.

This is a DA protecting their own job. No member of the DAs office can run against them without quitting first.

I am stunned lawyers are this spineless.