Wither the 717?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Tennessee Slim, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Did anyone else notice Boeing finally "created" the 717? In fact, it was born and died already and I’d never even noticed.

I always wondered why they'd got all the way from 707 to 787 but had skipped 717. I'd heard 717 was the "internal" name Boeing had given to the KC-135 but USAF had bought all they'd built so none ever hit the streets wearing the 717 badge. But I'd never been able to find confirmation of that tale.

So this morning I come across a thread under General Non-Glocking about the debut of the 787, which puts me to thinking about the 717. So I Dogpiled it (I don't Google). Turns out Wikipedia – bless their little volunteer hearts – had the whole story.

According to Wikipedia, the bit about the KC-135 is pretty much true. But one of the white elephants that Boeing inherited when they absorbed McDonnell Douglas was their final update of the MadDog, which they had called the MD-95. I figure Boeing was none too keen on using the only remaining unused 7-something-7 on a hand-me-down they’d got from a defunct competitor so they fished around in the dust bin and pulled out 717.

Wikipedia says Boeing built just 156 of them over 7 years before they ended production. Not exactly a cash cow, were it?

I can’t believe it came and went and I never even knew it existed.

2. jacquejet

jacquejet

Boeing was already selling a 100 seat a/c, one of the 737 variants. They weren't about to support a second 100 seater, especially one they didn't design. Was it any better than the 737? It certainly had a roomier cabin since it used the dc-9/mc-80 tube and the 2/3 seating rather than the boeing narrow-body tube. Besides, it was easier supporting an airplane with more than 1000 airframes in use than one with less than 200.

3. 220-9er

220-9er

Airtran flys them. It's just an updated & renamed DC-9.

4. Superfueler

Superfueler Glockenplane

Midwest Express also flies them. I've ridden in the back, not a bad ride, but it was a McD product, and Boeing was not really pushing it as hard as they could have. Oh well, AirTran likes em.

5. avmech

avmech NRA Benefactor Life Member

can't remember if it is based on the 30 or 50 series Diesel 9 (thinking it is the 30 series). Took off the Pratt JT8s and installed Rolls/BMW BR710 series engine (basically the G5/550 and Global engine).

6. Bassman1985

Bassman1985 NRA member

I flew on several back in '01 when I went to Hawaii. Hawaiian Air was using them, and I think they were only a few months old at the time. Felt just like every other MD-80 variant I've been on, but brand-new.

7. Superfueler

Superfueler Glockenplane

-30 series

8. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Great flying plane. Here's a crappy cell pic, but you get the idea. Same airframe, lovely manual controlls, big motors, and shiny glass. :supergrin:
    [​IMG]