With tomorrow being December 7 I was wondering

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Trench Sweeper, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    Does anyone know any survivors from pearl harbor who is still this side of the daisies? Since it has been 78 years ago it is possible if someone was stationed on a ship there at 18 or such but even then he would be what...96 if my math in my head is right?
    I am wondering because I remember seeing older fellas walking around wearing pearl harbor survivor hats before. But there can't be many left if any. Do any of you know one? Or if you used to if they shared any stories about it would you post it? Like many here I am a WW2 nut and would like to read it.

treg and railfancwb like this.
  2. BigBull 301

BigBull 301

No clue, but God Bless them where ever they are!

3. R9S19

R9S19

Supposedly, as of last year, there were between 2,000 to 2,500 remaining survivors of the Pearl Harbor attack. Given that they were the earliest of American WWII veterans, and the rate at which we are losing them every day, I would expect that number to be drastically lower today. I always honor them every day.

TBO, 1L26, Trench Sweeper and 3 others like this.
  4. 6Actual

6Actual Southern Backwater Mafia

:flag: Amen, brother!

5. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
  6. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

My ex Father in law was there on the Shaw which was in dry dock and never to return to service. During the chaos he saw a pair of boots on the dock and picked them up to find a foot in one of them.
    He later received a silver star later in the war as a gunner during a kamikaze attack.
    He said the movie Tora Tora Tora depicted the happenings pretty good.

7. railfancwb

railfancwb

When wife and I visited the Arizona years ago, the guide said that some survivors from that ship were choosing to be interred with these shipmates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

9. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

Putting up the Flag tomorrow, of course.

WeeWilly and Trench Sweeper like this.
  10. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

11. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

Father of Friend Bonnie, Alex O. served aboard the USS Sicard which was in Pearl Harbor for repairs and re-fit. Sicard arrived in Pearl in November 1941, and was being updated when the Japanese attacked on December 7, 1941.

There was limited .30 machine gun ammunition aboard, and the Sicard was able to fire 300 rounds at attacking aircraft within range.

Alex served in the Navy until the end of the war, when he returned to El Paso, raised a family, and worked on the railroad until he retired. He is long gone, but I post this to remember his service!

Flash

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  12. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

They are cremated and the divers take them down. The divers all report that when they get to the opening to insert the box, the ship sucks the box from their hands, almost as if the ship is taking her sailors back they say.
    May be currents, may be something else that does it...no one knows.

larry_minn and -JCN- like this.
  13. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Doolittle Raid tail-gunner/engineer David Thatcher (B-25 "Ruptured Duck") was as close as I ever got to a Pearl Harbor-era survivor. From the next town over, Bridger, Montana, he was a regular at the local diner and I had the honor of having coffee with him on occasion for over twenty years until he passed in 2016. HH

14. fg17

fg17

My grandfather has been gone for some time now. But he was at Pearl Harbor on the USS Ward. The Ward fired the first shot of WW2.

I was given this small book by him many years ago and still look at it every December 7. Tonight I’m having a drink and toasting him. He was a wonderful person and I’ll always miss him.

F2C0BF4C-4AE4-4B2B-BB2E-B2F1A2BC4776.jpeg

paynter2 likes this.
  15. pscyclepath

pscyclepath

There was an article about this in yesterday's local paper. There are only 4 survivors left from the Arizona crew, one of whom recently passed away and was entombed in the wreck with his shipmates. He will apparently be the last sailor entombed there. The other three survivors plan to be buried with their families when their time comes.

Only the Arizona and the Utah accept the entombment of former crew members, and no one else. There is on fellow from the Utah left, and he plans to be entombed in the wreck with his former shipmates. Arizona and Utah are the only December 7 wrecks remaining in Pearl Harbor.

16. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

The (IIRC) 5" deck gun, from the USS Ward, that fired the first shot of WWII is mounted in a small park below the Minnesota State Capitol. i used to walk by it often.

Yesterday I was thinking about how long 78 years is - back to Pearl Harbor. It's a long time, but I remember well many WWII Vets when they were still young. Then I thought that 78 years before 1941 was 1863. Stonewall was just recently killed.

We look at the destruction of WWII - the hardware - German and Russian tanks, German and American fighter planes. American air craft carriers. Awesome stuff. But today we are as far removed form WWII as WWII was removed from the Civil War. Just a thought I wanted to post.

All my uncles fought in WWII - one was a 20yo B-25 pilot in the pacific. Dad had been in the FBI for a few years before the war. No FBI agents were allowed to leave and enlist in the military. That bothered him thru his life.

17. fg17

fg17

A very interesting piece of history. My other grandfather was an infantryman and saw heavy combat in Europe.

“A minority of academics doubted whether the Ward had really sunk a Japanese mini-sub rather than some sort of false alarm incident until University of Hawaii scientists found the sunken remains of the Japanese vessel on 28 August 2002. The wreck was found in American waters 1,200 ft (366 m) beneath the sea about 3–4 mi (3–3 nmi; 5–6 km) outside Pearl Harbor.[5] The starboard side of the Japanese submarine's conning tower has one shell hole, evidence of damage from Ward's number-three gun. While her depth charges were sufficient to fully lift the 46-long-ton (47 t), 78 ft (24 m) submarine out of the water, they did no apparent structural damage to the submarine, which sank due to water flooding into the vessel from shell holes.”

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019