close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

With all the "variations" who cares anything about indoor GSSF matches.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by lethal tupperwa, Feb 21, 2006.

1. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

If you can fold targets, lean(use a rest),use optical sights etc.

What's next a tripod with laser sights and a Ransom Rest with an electronic trigger?

Why not just poke the holes with a pencil before you hang the target.

Maybe there should be ONE SET OF RULES for all the matches.

Call me old fashioned (I am) but the "skills" (or crutches needed) to score 500 mean nothing in the real world.

One martial arts instructor would ask who is here for a black belt.

Those that said yes were given a black belt and told not to come back.

:soap:

2. degoodman

degoodman Out of Columbus

You might want to un-twist your boxers, because they must be chafing.

Seriously, who cares about the slight variations in the rules for GSSF indoor matches. It's not like they crown a national champion based on the scores anyway. The guns are given out by raffle amongst the qualified competetors, and at least at the matches I've been to, the winners' list wouldn't change much no matter how much or little you changed the guns, stances etc. So who cares. Get out there and have FUN within the rules at your chosen indoor match site. If you aren't having fun, stop going.

3. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

a
    b*
    c
    d
    e*
    f

* I had to cheat to do it but I got er done.

4. domzilla9

domzilla9 Phone Flinger

I totally agree. That's why I said that if someone is folding thier target they're not worth one's time. Who cares what they score. Who cares what I score. You should only be worried about your own score.

The gun is drawn as a doorprize. The "winner" gets another plaque. Big deal.

5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

each range sets it own rules so if what you do falls within what is acceptable there it's all good. there may not be a great deal of coralation from one site to the next but within that location all competitors would be on equall footing. if the skills or lack of mean nothing in the real world where do they apply? shooting 500s are so easy damn near everyone with a key board can talk about doing it all day long. you could also apply the "who cares" mentality to the outdoor GSSF matches with the varations i've seen at the 8 or 10 ranges i've been to. in reality i doubt it has much relevance in the real world either.

6. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

I had to think awhile before I weighed in on this one.
    In my opinion-and I have a right to that- there is a
    "castigation" on the indoor GSSF sport .
    I've noticed it here- seems that shooting GSSF Indoors somehow makes the REAL SPORT- Outdoor GSSF somehow lesser.
    If you don't like it- you don't like it- and that's it.Period.End of Subject. Not gonna change your mind.
    But, I LIKE indoor GSSF.
    It's cheaper to shoot, it happens closer to my home,it happens once a month, I get to see my friends more often.I get more "use" out of guns and membership by shooting IGSSF.
    I like the fact the parameters of the program are set out by GSSF-The host range has latitude to administer the program within those parameters.
    I don't think anyone is "really" cheating in IGSSF...What's the difference if a shooter in IGSSF folds the target- or a "TOP" competitor in OGSSF gets to choose new D-1's or the right to shoot on ones that are paster covered? Or TOP OGSSF shooters getting a fresh coat of paint on the plates?
    Last week we had 50 scores turned in @Louisville- on a cold snowy crummy day we had 25 people get off the couch and shoot.
    Maybe it wasn't perfect(in your eyes) but we had fun.
    Oh, I know- it was just a spec of ***** in the REAL OUTDOOR GSSF SPORT -where top shooters get reshoots on reloaded ammo, competitors use aftermarket parts in "stock" classes- like Ghost Connectors,SS guide rods,and on and on- and where- and I just LOVE this rule- folks seem to "forget" they came in (in) the top 25% of a major IDPA or IPSIC- and I WOULD call a STATE competition a "MAJOR EVENT"...and they still hang out in Am Civ...
    Or- like they did out East- seem to "forget their names" at the registration table- and register "gamers" under false names...
    It's all good- just better for some than others.

7. Retoohs1

Retoohs1

First of all I must say I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes that I might make.

This is my opinion on the subject!!!!!!

Now to the subject at hand, anyway you look at it if scores are kept then it's competition and the best score wins.

I like both the indoor and the outdoor matches and have shot both. Concerning the indoor matches, if a person has worked their you know what off to shoot a 500 with IRON SIGHTS on a target that isn't marked in any way all set at the proper ranges in the proper order and without the aid of anykind rest just plain off hand. That shooter
    has accomplished something by doing this.

Now if another shooter is allowed to mark their target, or shoot the targets in an improper order, use anykind of SCOPE, or shoot any way other than offhand, and they shoot a 500 can anyone honestly say that
    both shooters were shooting on equal ground.

Yes the host ranges have latitude in how they run the matches, however if like I've seen posted they would say that they allow SCOPES, MARKING TARGETS IN ANY WAY, ALLOW ANY POSITION OTHER THAN OFF HAND, SHOOTING THE TARGETS IN AN IMPROPER ORDER. In my OPINION
    none of these things should be allowed at the indoor matches I believe that any of the above takes away from the idea of the sport.
    This is suppost to be about skill not what can be used to substitute
    for skill.

What about the guy that shot the 500 50X that was posted on here with pictures of the targets. From what I read he shot the 500 50X with a Glock Model 22 with IRON SIGHTS, I am told that this was the first ever 500 50X fired on the proper indoor course. I would guess that he worked at his skills to be able to do this. Lets all put ourselves in this guys place ( sorry I forget his name ) and have someone say its OK to use or do any of the above things and if you tie the 500 50X it will be counted just like the one shot by him.

:soap:

8. ede

ede Bama's Friend

jim tripplet, aka 50x, i think he used a g35 to shoot the 50x with. i shot a 500 with 50 rounds of his 50x load he gave me in a g23, not that i hadn't shot 500s before. so far he hasn't got any award or reconition from glock or GSSF, i'd sure think they would make a big deal out of it, give him a gun certifiate or soemthing.

9. vmw

vmw

James used a G22 to punch 50 X holes in two targets in the proper order w/o any of the other BS (Quote per JT who is looking over my shoulder as I type this).

Vern

OBTW, the New Albany Shooting Range is hosting the first of three (3) GSSF-IM matches this Saturday Feb 25th starting at 10 am and going to 3 pm. We'll use the same format as past matches, no silly stuff. Run (shoot) what you brung, just no scopes and it's gotta say GLOCK on it someplace. (JT, please don't deface your Wilson CQB just to shoot it in this match)

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I'm against shooting indoors and indoor GSSF matches, so the rules don't matter much to me. I did shoot in one and I didn't care for it.

11. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

Most of you have forgotten the main reason for shooting an indoor match. I bet none of you will have the correct answer.

TO HAVE FUN !!!!! Lighten up and relax. If not get out of the kitchen and find another line of shooting for FUN!

But stop all the winning.

Pharaoh

12. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

I agree it is to have fun, as far as shooting an indoor. However, we all know there is still a certain level of competition there also. I personally just go with the mindset of just shooting against my best previous score. I could care less how you do. Well, to clarify, I do care when I see someone doing something that is cheating IMO. In the past I have ignored it. After reading all the posts here about cheating, I wonder why there are so many soreheads about it. I am going to question the RO about something if I have any doubts about it in the future. I have only seen it one time, that was when the guy was leaning against the corner/wall of the partician of the lane he was in.

Would anyone else be upset if I knowing there isn't anything in the match rules to exclude me, used my aftermarket barrel, brought my folding chair sat in it and used my sandbags for a rest when shooting?

IMO, it just isn't right for someone who might cheat to win a plaque, or even in the extreme case, if they manage to shoot a really great score . It DOES insult the person who don't cheat, practices and shoots the perfect 500 score. Oh well, if you cheat and can have a clear concious---enjoy yourself.

13. Scott302

Scott302

#1 I am not going to win any GSSF matches (indoor or outdoor) anytime soon.
    I go to both because it's an excuse to shoot accurately as quickly as I can without an RO saying "keep it to one shot per second"! The matches are fun and I don't care what the guy next to me shoots. I go to see if I can improve my score from the prior match. I know the Glocks I shoot are stock and are proper for the class I am shooting in (I shoot a 27 in Am Civ and either a 34 or 24C in Am Comp). I always practice better than I shoot in a match. I am trying to reduce the stress that the timer places on me to improve my ability.
    If you're not having fun what's the point of going?

14. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

One more thing about the guy I saw leaning on the partician. I thought about it today and asked my wife if she remembered seeing it, and she did---the guy never put his pistol to low ready to begin the match, he kept it at the shooting position prior to the start buzzer going off. I know I might sound like a jerk by keep harping about this but RIGHT IS RIGHT, WRONG IS WRONG! I looked at the guys name on his target, so I am just curious to see how how he shoots in the future.

15. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

I think you are RIGHT! It doesn't take a Mensa to figure out if a shooter ain't following the rules. A good set of eyes and a rulebook will catch 90% of the "fudgers". Real cheaters are tuffer to catch.

But, let me add this...I'd like to think that the guy you're talking about was once a good shooter- heck, lets even hope he's been a top competitor.Age has a cruel way of eating at you, and I imagine
    he KNOWS he's not doing it according to Hoyle. He probably doesn't know that by turning in a score shot "that" way he might be bumping a
    up and coming shooter out of a "b" or "c" plaque. He "may" just think
    he's not bothering anybody by turning in a "non-competitive" score.
    Be his friend- find out what's going on- beyond his obvious infractions...there's probably something good about him still competing...he probably just needs alittle help...
    I've heard alot of older shooters say they just want to shoot in competition-even if their scores are later DQ'ed- they just still wanna do it. See what's up with him.

16. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

I KNOW he is a very good shooter still, age aside, hell, I'm no spring chicken myself. Not trying to take anything away from him but, just play by "what should be the rules" IMO.

17. Retoohs1

Retoohs1

IS THE RANGE OFFICER BLIND TO ALL THESE THINGS THAT YOU'RE SAYING IS HAPPENING.

In my opinion the answer is NO the RANGE OFFICER knows exactly what's going on and if there was a problem the RANGE OFFICER would make that problem known and take the proper action to correct the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will give you an example for some of this, I was shooting at an indoor range where they do not have the brass totally blocked from coming over the divider and I was getting brass down my shirt from the guy next to me. It was not the shooters fault next to me and the RANGE OFFICER and I talked about it, he said I could wait and shoot after this shooter finished, but I told him that I did not want to hold things up that I would instead try standing in a different position, I first stood all the way to the right, that didn't work so I then stood all the way to the left. By the way that didn't work either I still got pounded with brass. Its very possible something like this is what happened.

Now the low ready position!!!! If the shooter is not using the correct position then the RANGE OFFICER should have and would have corrected this.

I believe it was EDE that wrote anyone with a keyboard can turn into
    a 500 shooter, Is it at all possible they also know and see more than the dedicated RANGE OFFICERS we are priviliged to have at these matches, I think not.

IF THERE REALLY IS A PROBLEM REPORT THAT PROBLEM RIGHT AWAY TO THE RANGE OFFICER PLEASE DO NOT WAIT AND BRING IT UP LATER ITS TO LATE THEN PLUS IT TAKES AWAY FROM YOUR CREDITABILITY. Like putting it on the computer without any proof just your say so try to get a conviction with the evidence presented above in the other posts.:soap:

18. John45ACP

John45ACP

I shoot both the indoor and outdoor Glock matches. I do it because they are fun. For a challange I shoot USPSA which is WAY more fun than Glock matches. But, for a REAL challange and a LOT of fun I shoot my M1's in CMP matches.

Hey if it's fun and you enjoy it - do it. If it's not don't bore me with your complaints.

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Even outdoor GSSF isn't that much fun, although I'll admit it is more fun than most NRA shooting sports. I definitely wouldn't pay the price for membership and to shoot a match if it wasn't for the prizes. For fun I shoot more action-oriented sports like IDPA and USPSA.

20. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

What I have found is that the 500 shooters at the GSSF Indoor Matches I go to, don't use scopes, red dots, lasers and they don't fold their targets. Those people that do the above don't hit that hi anyway. YOu know how these 500 shooters do it? They practice, practice and keep in competition at different matches. They work on improving and having fun. That's how they do it and some day I'm going to do it too!;a ;a ;a ;a