Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

After admiring the S&W 627PC in 357 that holds 8 rounds in a moon clip I wondered how many people have either switched to it or something similar for their CCW piece or have thought seriously about doing so? Of course there are others that you could choose for less money like the Night Guard 357 that also holds 8 or the Night Guard in 44 that you could use Special loads in it. The Night Guards weigh in at about 30 ounces or so which isn't bad at all and would be a lot less than a full size 1911. The 627PC would probably be heavier and more like a 1911 in weight but it would still be a good option for CCW, at least I think it would.

S&W makes other 8 shot 357 revolvers with varying barrel lengths that you could also choose from. I'm sure Taurus also makes options in this category too and some of their wheel guns aren't too bad at all, at least the ones I have handled.

I guess you'd have to decide if you would rather have 8 shots of full house 357 mag or 8 shots of full house 45ACP. Of course the edge goes to the 1911 or other autos when it comes to reloading, but with practice you could get pretty close with those moon clips, they would be bulkier to carry around though.

Just something I was wondering about and curious to see what others thought.

Please post pics if you have any cool wheelies for your CCW gun.

Thanks

Nalajr

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've never handled one of the 8 shot Smiths but I gotta imagine the 8 shot cylinder would make for an awfully thick gun to carry IWB.

·
Registered
523 Posts
To bulky much rather carry a 1911, have a 696 44 spl smith hard to carry even with three inch barrel due cylinder with for ccw

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have 2. A 5 inch 327 performance center that is just sooo nice to shoot. I just got a 2 inch 327 to match. They are both really soft shooting and incredibly accurate. Last saturday I hit the 100 yard steel 2 out of 8 shots. Not bad for a 2 inch barrel. The 5 inch can hit 200 yard steel with the same consistancy. Not all that practical but alot of fun.

If you are going to get one I would get the performance center. It costs a little more but like most things. You get what you pay for!

ETA: For concealed carry they would be awkward. They are too thick to comfortably conceal.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well you all shot the hell out of that theory right quick. I guess there is really no free lunch huh? Something about one of those airweight or Scandi wheelguns with 357 mag loads coming out of it that just SCREAMS PAIN to me.

I'm still gonna get a wheelie for CCW use though. More than likely it'll be a S&W 638.

Nalajr

·
Stop the steal!
18,016 Posts
See the topic headliner........^^^^^

The answer is........NO WAY!

I really do like the idea of an 8-shot revolver.......but, not for ccw.

You see, I used to carry a J frame for concealment, but have stopped thinking revolvers alltogether for this purpose.....because they just can't compete with the slim width of a single stack automatic......

A five or six shot 38cal revolver is bad enough, but an 8-shot? We're just taking something that isn't that great for ccw, and making it worse.

Now, if we're talking open carry, home defense, woods carry, range shooting.......or, just about any other reason for owning a revolver......you bet.....count me in! :wavey:

hog

·
Tank44
593 Posts
I now carry a full size 1911 but have carried a Ruger Sp101 in the past. I was very happy with the Ruger but just was never that accurate with it and even put crimson trace grips on it. I made the move to the 1911 because I felt much more accurate with it and thus felt much safer.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I stick with K and J frames. Anything bigger is too bulky for me, regardless of how much it weighs or how many rounds it carries.

I have a 3" 65, a 642, and I should be picking up my 2" 64 this week. I'd post pics, but I think I may have saturated GT with them by now.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Not the .357 x8 becasue, IMO its jsut too bulky for regular CCW and a 2" barrel really kills the .357's ballistic advantage over the .38+p. With that said, more than once I've though about picking up a 3" 686+. (L-frame, 7rnd .357) The biggest problem with revolvers is carrying extra ammo. Speedloaders and moonclips are bulky and speedstrips are slow.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The appeal of the J frame is that it can always be with you.

Anything this big is going to be pretty bulky, and you probably could easily conceal a G19 or G23 for similar size/weight.

But for home defense? Sounds like a plan to me.

·
pain in the ass
161 Posts
I know a guy who lives in brazil, where, as you know, makes it difficult to own anything larger than a 38 or 380. He has a snubby 8 shot 38 that seems to me to make a great deal of sense in such a circumstance.

He sent a photo, and it looked to me like a taurus version of a 3 inch model 27 smith.

·
Registered
14,663 Posts
I don't carry a revolver everyday, but I do carry my 325PD pretty often. In a strong side OWB holster it is very easy to conceal. It is lighter than most autos and has plenty of firepower with 6 ACPs. The width would only be a concern in a deep concealment situation. The gun is too big for a pcket so deep concealment is pretty much out of the question anyway. It is perfect for this time of year when the wardrobe is more concealment friendly.

·
Registered
30,883 Posts
NOpe I aint buying **** with a nanny state lock built in by company that gladly sold out.

·
Premium Member
9,809 Posts
I've never handled one of the 8 shot Smiths but I gotta imagine the 8 shot cylinder would make for an awfully thick gun to carry IWB.
I have and it would be like stuffing a baseball in between belt and waste line . I'll stick with my S&W m36 and 642 for a conceal carry revolver.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
I have not considered it for CC but I have considered getting the S&W m627 Performance Center for carry while hiking/camping.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts