Glock Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Yippee-ki-yay
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking the wifey shooting in a little while. It's her first time! When we first got together she was super uncomfortable around them, but she didn't care that I had them or shot. Which is why we worked out haha. But she ended up getting prego with The Moot and we moved a bit. But I've finally been teaching her enough and making her handle and clean them with me. She isn't as excited as I am... But hopefully it will grow on her!

I'm starting her off with the Walther p22 and maybe go to the Beretta after that. I was thinking about the g26 but thought the heavier gun might be better at first? I've taught a bunch of people to shoot, but they were always interested to begin with. Wifey had to warm up to it over a couple years and I wanna make her experience as wonderful as possible lol. Any tips before we take off in an hour or so?

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Good luck. If she has never shot a handgun before, it would probably be best just to have her shoot the .22 the entire time. Don't push her to shoot the 9mm guns (assuming your Beretta is a 9mm), unless you want her to dislike the experience -- let her ask you to try one. If she asks to try one of 9mms, definitely give her the Beretta over the G26. You and I may not notice the recoil much, but most first-time female shooters are going to find a G26 to be loud, snappy, and generally unpleasant.

· Registered
16 Posts
I'm sure you have already gone over grip placement. I don't know what it is about first time shooters, women in particular, who place their hand behind the other where the back hand is hanging over where the slide will take a chuck out of their hand (OUCH!). The only tips that come to mind is to start her off close and let her build up her confidence. I'm sure she will be shaking with anticipation and nerves and once she gets the first clip or two out her comfort level may go up. Just make it fun, be positive and maybe throw in some incentives if she hits a bulls eye. I dunno maybe you'll do the dishes or something. I took my girlfriend out shooting for her first time last year. She was really nervous and at the time the only gun I had was a G26. She shoot it pretty well once her hands stopped shaking :supergrin:. Once the session was over she was crazy excited and could only think about improving the next time we went. Now she'll ask me when we're going to the range again and since then I purchased a CZ 75 which she can shoot scary accurate. Hope she enjoys it.

P.S. She recently shot a 22lr for the first time after shooting 9mm's and 45's. She turned and looked at me and said. "What is this a toy?!". Yep she's the one.

· Yippee-ki-yay
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well we just got back, successful trip! I think I have a shooting partner finally, instead of going by myself! The most expensive part was the babysitter lol.

A few times a week I'll throw a little quiz at her about guns so she kinda knows what's up. I'll show her stuff about my carry gun (usually g26) or just whatever I have out that day. I get them out a lot and wipe them down since I live in the south and it's pretty humid all the time. ANYWAY, the fun stuff. We started out with the Walther p22. When holding the gun at home she is good and holds how I say is "the best way". While holding to shoot though it was a little harder! She kept doing weird things with her fingers or sometimes throwing a thumb up on top of the slide? lol but we got that taken care of. She went through two 10 round mags and then put it down. She shot super good at 5 yards. lol I figured she would be good in a keep them all on the paper kinda way, but she was good in a 8" to 10" group kinda way!

I asked if she wanted to load up the .22 again and she said no, she wanted to Beretta! She's the boss so I said ko. I have various mags for it. Factory, some my buddy gave me from is Iraq time and a few cheapy 17 rounders I got on the net. She shot it like a champ... all but the double action pull. The first round was hard for her every time. The reason is after every mag, slide locked back... her first order of business was to get that safety on! I told her if she left it off and just put the next mag in and pulled the slide back a bit it would leave the trigger pull short and ready to go. She said she liked the safety *and I wasn't going to argue with that!* After a few magazines of the Beretta, which she also shot pretty darn well, she was ready for the g26. "what is this one again?" she said, "i wanna shoot this." :rofl: I was loving it!

So I give her the rundown of no safety except your finger and its snappy, all that jazz. She started into it. I couldn't see where she was hitting so I asked. :wow: in the head. lol I was looking at the body of the sill... No, they were all shots to the face! She shot two 10 round mags with the g26 but wanted to go back to the 92fs. She felt more comfortable and liked the safety. I was loading some magazines for me to shoot after her and I was kinda looking at her then loading and looking back at her. There were only a few others on the line and when I looked over... they were looking at her. haha and quickly jerked their head back after I saw them. I thought it was pretty funny and the "yeah, she's with me" feeling came over me. It was nice. But while loading my mags I heard a semi quick BOOM BOOM BOOM. WHOA! I thought. She turned around and was giggling and I asked what that was all about expecting a visit from the range staff. I asked her what that was about and she goes "What? I wanted to know if I could shoot an intruder if I had to!"

I love her. In the end she had a bunch of fun. She said she liked it and it's definitely something we could start doing! So happy about that. I'd love to get her up to B.E.L.T. training for some classes or their women's concealed class. I think she'd have fun. And I am excited to buy more ammo! Gotta buy twice as much if she is going to be shooting! We picked up our brass for my hopefully christmas present and went on our way. Looking at the Barrett and the Governor on the way out.

Question. She's not too fond of the g26 and she likes the 92 and the external safety. I have a few more handguns but they are all revolvers and XDs... Anything you guys would recommend in the 9mm that I can't seem to think of that she might like? Thanks for the advice and reading this far, I know it's kinda long! I got a few pictures of the hot wifey shooting I might tac up here in a bit! Check back! hehe

· Registered
8,207 Posts
Glad you had a great range day! As far as a 9MM with a safety check this out.

S&W M&P9 w/safety
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=254235115

Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact (would be close to your G26)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=253883944

Something a little smaller would be the Ruger LC9
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=254553662

Another suggestion, would be a Sig. I know they don't have a "safety."
But, the do have the 10 lb. first shot trigger pull. IMO, this is a better option because you aren't fumbling around with a safety if you need to shoot fast.

But, be sure to let her pick her own gun. So, she can get whats most comfortable to her.

· Yippee-ki-yay
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha I actually did the little finger movement and said this is your safety after she said she didn't like the glock because of that. Not even thinking of that movie though. Nice catch!

and for the picture I promised and forgot already...

she did shoot from a little farther away. :rofl:

· Semper Fi
7,268 Posts
Congrats on the new, very pretty shooting partner!

As far as other pistols with safeties, check out the CZ 75 series guns. Mine is stupid accurate--makes me look like I actually know what I'm doing. :rofl:

· Yippee-ki-yay
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats on the new, very pretty shooting partner!

As far as other pistols with safeties, check out the CZ 75 series guns. Mine is stupid accurate--makes me look like I actually know what I'm doing. :rofl:
This actually made me lol. Don't know if it's cause I want a gun like that or this jim b I've been drinking.

· Registered
186 Posts
Its always a good time to shoot with the wife. My wife would never go until she joined the police acadamy now she goes to the range,the mountains and shoots ipsc with me,she even buys her own guns. Right now she has a g17,xd9,m&p9 and a m&p ar15 with a red dot site and green lasor site on it.My only problem I have with shooting with her is if we only get one lane at the range she shoots all the 9mm and when the ammo is gone she says " ok im done your turn" then goes and talks with all the range officers while I shoot my g23 since she shot all the 9 my g19 stays on my hip and never gets warm. She is now looking for a styr aug since she sold her dpms lr10

· Registered
1,087 Posts
Taking the wifey shooting in a little while. It's her first time! When we first got together she was super uncomfortable around them, but she didn't care that I had them or shot.
Get her a little drunk first.

Four or five shots of some eighty proof will help with stress and tension.

Proven fact that alcohol makes you a better shooter. :supergrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.