close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wish me luck..Bought a "high mileage" truck yesterday..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LAWDOGKMS, Sep 20, 2012.

1. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

Wish me luck, i bought a truck w/85k on it..yesterday

2006, Z71' 4wd, 5.3 engine, 3.73 rear end..

It's a one owner (i know who the previous owner is, my daughter works for his son and he's 79 yrs old) the truck was garaged, impeccably maintained..

My mechanic says it's as good as new and not to have any worries..

My friends rolled their eyes at me implying i was stupid for buying one with that high of mileage.

I don't know what to think other than it's spotlessly clean, tight and rattle free, is equipped exactly the way I'd have spec'd it myself, and the check I wrote was 13K, not 35k..

What say you about high mileage gm's?

Would you be concerned with 80k+ miles?

Hell, 80% of the 2007-2010 Z71's I looked at had 60k or more miles..and they still wanted at least 25K..!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. bulrid8

bulrid8

Still have a good 100k to go, before worrying.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

3. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

I ran a 2004 Suburban (same motor and transmission) until 135K and then traded her for a 2007 Suburban with 30K on the clock.

85K is nothing to worry about. Flush the transmission and, if it doesn't have one already, add an aftermarket transmission cooler. Made my transmission temperature go from topping out at 205 degrees on a 100 degree day to topping out at 180 on a 100 degree day, i.e. a 25 degree delta.

4. nick112207

nick112207

First vehicle was a 95 ford ranger 4x4 with 90k miles, zero problems till I wrecked it, second was a 05 cavalier with 65k no problems, third was a 95 dodge 2500 diesel with 240k only problem it had was snapped the input on the auto (previous owner put a $1000 tq converter and $500 valve body but figured stock input was OK?) Swapped in a manual and just recently sold it to a buddy and its still going strong, and most recent is a 93 Toyota corolla with 186k on it, doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil and tyranny doesn't slip at all

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. cyphertext

cyphertext

That isn't high mileage, especially if the truck has been cared for. That mileage is average for the trucks age. Enjoy your truck! :supergrin:

6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I sold my 4Runner with about 220k on the clock, so 80k isn't exactly what I was expecting to see :supergrin:

7. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

That's not high mileage... my 2010 has 73K on it and the '05 I had before that had 213K before I sold it...and my wife's '06 has 150K

your truck has averages just over 12k a year (the 2013's are out now). you'll be fine for years

8. mixflip

mixflip

High mileage to me is over 100k minimum.

If you have the timing belt and water pump changed after 100k I'd bet it would go another 100k without a hitch on the engine side. Electronics? Now thats a another story.

9. Trapped_in_Kali

Trapped_in_Kali

That's low mileage for a truck.
    Go ahead and order a new fuel pump now, I drive GM trucks & vans for work and had one Chevy go 90k before the fuel pump went out. Our mechanic could not believe that it was on it's first fuel pump, every other one he saw went out at 65k.
    My personal GMC & one of my work Chevys both had fuel pumps go out in the same week.
    I bought a Dodge and have had no problems since.

10. jfost11

jfost11

I don't like GMs, especially that body style, but I wouldn't worry about it. 85K is a bit above the 12K/year average but I've got two 1 year old vehicles with over 30K on each of them so I wouldn't call it high mileage. As long as the fluids look as good as the rest of it, it'll probably be fine. That's a clean looking ride. KBB puts private party value at over $15K in fair condition which that appears to be much better than fair. I think you did fine.

11. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Congrats and good luck with your new truck. It looks really clean. Don't worry anymore about the milage, just do any required maintenance and drive the snot out of it. :thumbsup:

12. c01

c01 Crazy Eye

Nice truck. Not a GM guy but it should do you well.

13. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Gubbmit motors union mad pos's are the devil on here, didn't you know?

High milage my ***! It will serve you well! Nice truck btw!

14. NRAninja

NRAninja bad kitty

Nice truck. The leather on the seats still looks great. That truck still has plently of miles left in it and even if it does act up, it isn't going to cost the $22K you didn't spend to fix.

I would change all the fluids and start a regular maintenance schedule. Keep the fluids changed and the suspension greased if there are grease fittings. I have the 06 Duramax and do fluid changes on the engine oil, power steering, differentials, transfer case and transmission myself. It's easy and keeps the truck running nice. Plenty of DIY maintenance threads on the different truck forums if you need help.

Also, some of the transfer cases failed early because of 'pump rub' There is a part inside the case that rubs against the housing and wears a hole in it resulting in fluid loss and destroyed transfer case... at least on the diesels anyway. I think it's all of the 4x4s though. Google 'transfer case pump rub' for more info. It's not a bad idea to spend a couple hundred taking care of it now than a couple thousand on a new transfer case later.

Definitely a nice find though and shows that you don't have to spend big $$$ to get a good vehicle.

15. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I would roll my eyes too but it would out of green-envy more than anything else. :)

16. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

A Toyota maybe. GM\Chevrolet. No way.

The thing is, now comes the time when everything needs to be done. Timing chain (?) brakes, wear items, gaskets, shocks\struts, hoses, u-joints, replace transmission and differential fluids.

Nice truck. Looks great.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  17. Bruce H

Bruce H

I bought my daily driver work truck two years ago with 215000 on the odometer. Haven't had any problems.

18. ghostrunner

ghostrunner

85k high mileage are you nuts , that's good mileage!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4

19. Tackle

Tackle

I bought an 02 f150:fx4 with 108k on I last Friday for 11k. You did very well on the price, I couldn't touch an 04+ Chevy with less than 100k for under 13 around here.

Best of luck to you! Tell your friends they are crazy. If you figure cost of ownership per year you will be way ahead of them.

20. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Dude, at 13K you didn't buy that truck - you stole it! :tongueout:

Those trucks can do 185K easily. My 2000 cracked a head at 186K but GM revised the cylinder head somewhere between 2000 and 2007 so I would not worry about it (it's common but doesn't affect the majority of trucks, if that makes any sense). Before that I replaced the battery twice and the water pump and that's it. The alternator whistles dixie but it keeps making charge so I haven't changed it.

I will caution you though that if you start losing coolant slowly but can't find a leak, get it looked at. That is a sympton of the head crack that I had. Catch it early and the heads can be replaced with the Gen 2 head which isn't prone to cracking (I was quoted $1800 for the replacement).

I didn't put any of that in there to scare you (it is rare) but if you do wind up with this issue it isn't the end of the world. You will probably still have come out ahead.

25K - (13K + 2K) = 10K savings = you still did d#mn good. And that's worst case.

I would flush the transmission and cooling system since you are pretty close to the recommended mileage.

BTW after 186K everything outside of the engine works as well as new and looks brand new, and I haven't babied that truck. I haven't tortured it but I haven't babied it either.