close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wish I was born then...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock Enthusiast, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Glock Enthusiast

Glock Enthusiast Banned

It seems that many people look back at a previous generation or times and wish they had been born then. It has got me thinking. Is there some kind of human nature psychological concept at work? Does each generation always wish they were born in the previous? Does this concept stretch back across hundreds (thousands?) of years of generations through different countries, empires, political and economic systems?

For example, I am 25 years old. It seems my father's generation was better than mine. Did my father wish he was part of his father's generation? Did my grandfather wish he was part of his father's generation? Continuing the pattern until you go back a substantial amount of time in history?

Does human nature keep us from being 100% content with the current times?

Why does the past always appear more appealing than the current time?

Why does each generation look at the one following them and believe they will be less intelligent, wealthy, responsible, logical, efficient, or patriotic?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. There was a movie awhile back called A River Runs Through It, which I thought really captured the sentiment in a creative way.

3. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

I don't buy the whole reincarnation thing, but I sometimes feel like I was once a Roman, dark-age barbarian, discovery-age sailor/explorer, and in the Civil War...weird. :cool: Must have been some of the better moments in my soul's journey.

4. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i suppose it could be said that in the present you know exactly what happened in the past and have no idea what will happen in the future

5. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

folks always say the good old days , etc etc but those days sucked . think about the time periods when life expectancy was like 24 years old . the old days sucked

6. RioKid

RioKid

I agree,we migrate toward what we are familiar with. We are more comfortable with what we have seen or heard than what is to be. IMHO

7. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

No joke! I was a history teacher. The past was bad. I love living indoors, glass windows, indoor plumbing with hot water, , flush toilets, soap, pain killers, electricity, modern medicine, chemistry, glasses, 8 hour work days, telecommunications, the automobile............

8. h2opolo150

h2opolo150

lol looking on the otherside of this, has anyone seen some of the new generation, some of these kids are just downright messed up, it seems there are more dumber, ruder, oblivious, tree hugging people now as opposed to people who just want to live and enjoy being part of society and everything we have such as guns and free speech

Yeah I know there is no grammar or anything, please save the English lesson.

9. raxar

raxar Golliwog

it's an interesting thing to ponder, but of course you realise 25, 50, 200 years from now there will be people who wish they could have lived in 2010.

As for me, I'd love to visit where I live in the past, I'd love to see what it looked like in the 50's, and the 80's. But I don't want to live there. As for going back further than the early 1900's I will pass, for the same reason I'd really prefer for society not to collapse, I like a nice warm bed, the internet, and people who bathe everyday

in closing I will refernce King Solomon, and my sig line from another forum

"Do not say, "Why were the old days better than these?" For it is not wise to ask such questions Ecclesiastes 7:10

10. Glock Enthusiast

Glock Enthusiast Banned

I feel I need to point out that these things would not be missed if a person never knew they existed. With that in mind, pondering this question is not as easily dismissed by modern conveniences.

11. raxar

raxar Golliwog

you sir, underestimate my affection for modern conveniences

12. h2opolo150

h2opolo150

Good sir, they may in fact may not be missed, but they would be wanted. This is why modern conveniences were invented, because someone wanted such items and they have all become everyday uses. Good day sir.

13. staplebox

staplebox Trudging along

"This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it." RWE

14. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

interesting concept.

Actually I believe in theory one CAN go back but not forward.:wow:I think Albert Einstein came up with a theory on that.

Seriously, I wouldnt want to.They would probably burn me at the stake.lol.or run me through.Worse, get a bad bug and not have the right antibiotic for it and die a miserable death.lol

15. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Because they never actually lived then. So the past is an idealized fantasy that does not reflect it's true nature.

16. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

And you'd know! :tongueout:

17. Longhammer

Longhammer

I believe we are all here for a reason. But if you want to get all new age? I doubt my soul has ever lived to be my age (47) before. So I feel I am in uncharted waters. Which makes these pretty good times. Beats the heck out of the alternative.

18. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Its just Logic... as you get older the future becomes more dim... but the past just keeps on shining!

Oh I forgot to add I would have prefered to Die during WWII buring in a fiery plane crash... Then put my next world war future in the hands of politicians who don't know peace is having a bigger stick!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  19. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I have NEVER thought the old days would have been a better time to live. Not being able to take a pill to get rid of a headache would have sucked, and then there's constant tooth pain, and a total lack of available dental work to fix it.

I'd have rather postponed my birth for another 1000 years and live in the future.

20. TheVeryIdea

TheVeryIdea Cowbell Glocker

Interesting question. I've pondered it too.

I believe people in general tend to reminisce in extremes: The good old days either were happy, carefree days or they were unbelievably, unfathomably hard. That explains all the stories our grandfathers told about walking to school 10 miles in the snow uphill both ways, and the equally unrealistic "happy days" where only blue skies and rock 'n' roll predominated.

Neither time period is accurately portrayed. Our grandfathers forget to include the conveniences that were new to them, like the telephone, for example, because they were part of their everyday lives. Previous generations might similarly be tempted to forget things like electricity or indoor plumbing that are taken for granted.

Conversely, those "happy days," such as the carefree 1950s, were filled with a fear and paranoia over the burgeoning Cold War that was so ingrained in everyday life that it didn't seem unusual to people who lived through them.

Basically, no one reminisces over mundane or unpleasant things. We either remember our biggest victories or our bitterest defeats. The more prosaic details go untold.