close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wisconsin wildlife protection

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by JPhule, Apr 13, 2003.

1. JPhule

JPhule Gabh An Latha

I go fishing every summer with a friend of mine, and last year he introduced me to the art of fly fishing. I Love spending the day out in the stream, and last year we were out on the Kinnickinnic River (I think that is how to spell it) near River Falls, Wisconsin.

We fish from an area in or near the state park.

The question is: I almost got bit by a rattler last year and now I want to protect myself. I have a few revolvers and want to carry some snake shot rounds, If I do it in the open (Open Carry) and for personal protection from wildlife, is it legal?

And one other thing... lets say a rattler does try to bite me and I shoot it... can I keep it or do I have to notify a ranger or something?

2. Flatlander03

Flatlander03 StraightShooter

The way I heard it in Wisconsin is if you're carrying a loaded weapon out in the open, in the woods whether the property is yours or not, it can be construed as you are hunting. And without a license.
    Mileage may vary Warden to Warden.
    It really is a better question to ask the Wisconsin DNR though.

They don't like that.

3. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

If you own the land, you need no hunting license, except for bear, deer, and game birds.

This same poster, posted this under carry issues, where it's discussed much more thoroughly.

4. Flatlander03

Flatlander03 StraightShooter

Makes sense to me. Snow finally melt up there? My In-laws have property in Langlade County. I like to get up there whenever I can.;f

5. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Why not just get some snake gaiters? The chance of getting bit by a snake that you see is very slim. It's the one's that you don't see when you step over a log or rock that get you. I don't have a percentage, but most snake bites are on the back of the leg in the calf or ankle.

I've been up close and personal with a few rattlers. They can hit at 1/2 their length. A few I was within striking distance of, but they didn't hit. I just backed up and let them have that piece of ground. If was going to strike I would have no chance in hell to draw, aim, fire and actually hit them before they did.

This is one instance where a gun isn't the best protection.