close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

wireless surveillance for the home?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock!9, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Glock!9

Glock!9

Anyone using this? I am looking for something under 1k if possible. Needs to be wireless and night vision.

2. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

You can buy these units at Sams Club for a camera at about 100 and then place them around your house. The limitation is power. Most of these units have limited battery life so they still have to be placed near a power source but they do work fine and dandy. Ebay is also a good source or do a google search and see what comes up.

3. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

We had wireless, it sucked, interference from all kinds of stuff. Just installed a Samsung wired system last week...1TB DVR, 8ch with 6 day/night HD cams, all hardware included, viewable live from the web, $799 @ Sams Club.

Took this snapshot from my laptop a few minutes ago, all downstairs windows covered, as well as the driveway, and some of the street. :supergrin:

[​IMG]

4. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I bought a Foscam wireless IP camera off Amazon to monitor my son's crib. It allows us to see what he is up to without entering his room and waking him up.

The camera has pan and tilt functions and attaches to our home's wireless network. Of course it still needs to be plugged into an outlet for power. The device has an onboard web-server that you point your web-browser at to view.

It isn't as comprehensive of a system as what JLB768 posted though.

5. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

I'm in the process of setting one up right now, but I'm probably not going wireless. How many cameras do you want? What level of accessability to you want? Do you want 2 way audio?

My setup will be 4 or 5 cameras with onboard memory, depending on what I can squeeze under budget, connected to a server also backing up their data, that I'll have running so it can be access from a web address so I'll be notified via phone if anything happens and be able to tune in and if need be, talk through my cameras.

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

The only real advantage of wireless is that you don't have to cut holes through the walls etc. That does save time and mess. The problem with wired is that sometimes wires get cut and you lose that llink in your system.

7. JLB768

I was concerned about wires being cut, that's why I placed the cameras where I did out front...each camera position is covered by another, so no matter which they try to cut, they are already on another camera. I need to pick up two more cameras to complete my system, and those will be placed accordingly. My cameras are connected using CAT 5e cables, power and video all in one, same ethernet type connectors on both ends, makes for easy install. I also get alarms, and emails, if any cameras are tripped. Of course everything gets DVR'd on the 1TB HD.

8. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Tagged. Parents looking for system.

9. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Its faster and for a good crook, easier, to interfere with a wireless signal than it is to cut a wire on a properly mounted and routed camera.

Wireless devices are being pushed in home security systems for the sole reason of them being easier to install. I'm still going wired. What you have done is the perfect solution to the issue of them being cut.

10. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Tagged because I am looking to upgrade some cameras.

IMHO, there are some key features.
    Minimum spec. 640x480 30FPS.
    Ability to notify me of movement via email.
    Ability to record events for viewing later.
    Ability to run multiple cameras on network.
    If wireless, it needs to run one of the more secure protocols.

11. JLB768

Yeah, you really have to think it through, before just tossing the cameras up. I have pictures of our home being built from every angle, so I looked them over, and found the best positions for the cameras. Like I said, before I even hung the first camera, my concern was someone climbing up, and snipping a wire. So I installed them in positions where no matter what direction you come from, you are on a second camera. My only weak spot is the back yard, and I will be ordering two more cameras, to complete my 8 channel system, and those will cover the other two cameras already back there.

12. JLB768

This is the system I went with.

http://www.samsungsv.com/Model/Detail/10/Samsung-SDE-4001N-8-Channel-DVR-Security-System

13. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Are you satisfied with the image quality? Do the cameras record color in the daytime? I couldn't find that info on the spec sheet. I've been looking for something just like this for a while, but the reviews on most systems are pretty meh till you spring for big bucks.

14. JLB768

Yes, absolutely satisfied with the image quality, and they are color cameras during the day. You can actually set the resolution of the cameras, quality of the images recorded, and frame rates of the recordings, all depends on how much space you want taken up on the DVR. Higher image quality, and higher frame rates, will take up more space, but with the 1TB hard drive, I'm not concerned with how much space is taken. I can always reformat with the press of a button, and have all the free space back, I have everything set to record the best image possible. Pay no attention to the jaggies below, that's my laptop, not the cameras, they are crystal clear on the LCD tv.

[​IMG]

15. JLB768

Forgot to add...All adjustments, turning cameras off/on, adjusting sensitivity, motion detection, reviewing events, recording, etc, can also be done remotely through your computer. The only thing you can not do via computer, is reformat the DVR's hard drive.

16. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Nice, that looks great. I'll have to grab one. Does the monitoring software work with OS X too, or is it just Windows?

17. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Wireless/Wired Network Pan and Tilt $60. Found it yesterday.

http://www.dinodirect.com/

18. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

19. JLB768

X? If you mean Linux, that's what the specs say for the embedded OS. If you pull up the link I provided, click on the specs tab, it has everything you need to know.

20. JLB768

Yes, they are direct wired using CAT 5e ethernet cables. Network Protocol Support...

TCP/IP, DHCP, PPPoE, SMTP, NTP, LIGHTTPD & UDP, DDNS, RTP RTSP

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011