close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wireless speed

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by alphacat, Oct 25, 2006.

1. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

What gives you the speed when you are hooked up wireless or on Wifi? Maybe they are the same thing???

I have cable on my PC now. If I get a wireless router and hook it to my cable will the speed still be the same as if I were hard wired?

What about when I use the laptop at a restaurant?

alphacat

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

That type of wireless and wifi are the same thing.Your internet connection is the limiting factor.It can't be any faster than you have now being hard wired.Wireless can get slower but usually only when there are other wireless radio signal devices in the area.You might be a bit slower at home with wireless but likely not enough to notice the difference.You must be very cafeful of your internet security when using wireless at home.

In a restaurant you will be limited by the restaurant's own internet connection.You won't be using your internet connection but connecting your PC to the internet using the restaurant's internet connection.

3. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

Thank you, that clears things up.

alphacat

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

One downside of wireless is file transfer speed, its nearly always better using wired, especially for large files.