Wireless setup for my printer?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Redsnake, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Redsnake

Redsnake

OK, my wife just got a laptop for her home based business and I'm trying to set up the printer via wireless.

We currently have 2 desktops that are set up on wireless and the printer is attached to her desktop that also has our wirelss Linksys router. It is a 4-port router and we're only using one port. Is it as simple as running a cable f/the router to the printer and then setting up the printer driver on her laptop?

Any details or links to show me would be appreciated or any simple explanations here.

Edited to add that both desktops (and the one the printer is connected too) are running Windows XP and the Laptop is brand new and running Windows Vista. I am able to log into our secure network and surf the net, but I'm having trouble getting the printer to work via wireless.

I also went in to the desktop PC w/the printer attached and that is also connected to the router and made the printer "share" and named it... but when I tried to add the printer to the laptop it wasn't able to find the printer on it's search. Do I need to add the drivers via the CD that came w/the printer to the laptop before it'll work?

Thanks for the help as usual.

-Eric

2. vanderson

vanderson

If you are not able to find your printer on another computer make sure that all computers have the same workgroup name. To check this right click My Computer go to Properties and then go to the Computer Name tab. To change the Workgroup name just click Change.

3. Redsnake

Redsnake

OK... I made sure both PCs had the same workgroup name and when I go to search for available printers to add to the laptop it still can't find anything.

It sure sounded pretty simple so i wonder if I'm doing something wrong... but I've tried everything you mentioned.

Any other suggestions? I'm wondering if my printer is set up ok. I know that the desktop PC that has the printer connected to it is also wired up to our Linksys wireless router and also has the cable modem that feeds our COX cable internet. The printer is connected via a USB cable to the back of my desktop PC.

Thanks for the help...

4. vanderson

vanderson

What are the OS's on the computers?

Desktop 1 (with printer connected)
    Desktop 2
    Laptop

As long as your printer is shared you should see it from the other computers. After changing the Workgroups did you restart (probably since it prompts you to). Can you see each others computers? Go to My Network Places - View Workgroup Computers and should show 1 - 3 systems.

5. Redsnake

Redsnake

Desktop 1 : Windows XP
    DT 2 : Windows XP
    Laptop : Windows Vista

Yes, when I go on the laptop and look at network PCs I can see all three... both desktops and the laptop. Yes, I had to restart all 3 PCs when I set them up as shared.

Keep me going here.... although I may have to check back tomorrow as I'm getting ready to hit the sack... been a LOOONNNGGGG day for me.

Thanks for your help.

6. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

On Desktop One:

open the printer settings/ properties box

open SHARING tab

is the printer sharing enabled?

Open your network properties

Is file and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks listed and enabled?

7. Garrett Smith

Garrett Smith

Does the printer have a print server included? If not, you'll need to buy one or buy a new printer that has a print server attached.

8. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

Garrett,

it is possible to network a printer attached to a desktop without a print server as long as the desktop is active.

I did this for years until I upgraded to an ethernet capable HP

9. vanderson

vanderson

You do not need a printer server, waste of money! Most small businesses dont even need a print server but their "smart" technicians think they do and then they (the so called "smart" technicians") screw it up!