Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by HalfHazzard, Jan 13, 2017.

1. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

Probably time for a new one.

Current is apple airport express several years old. A bit glitchy with everyone else's 2.4GHz in the area. 5Ghz had trouble making it to my bedroom and the printer won't connect on 5GHz so I leave it on 2.4.

What would you recommend?

2. longhaulcop

longhaulcop

maybe get use a wirless app to see where the wireless congestion is and then change channels to a less congested one.

IndyGunFreak and Pierre! like this.

3. burnsoft

burnsoft

My air port extreme had the same issue after 3 years, but I had a lot off issues with reliability and nothing was conflicting with it. If you are running Mac, then there a wifi scanner in the App Store called wifi scanner, Windows you can use net stumbler

I ended up replacing my extreme.

4. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

I've scanned for traffic. Surprisingly I pick up most 2.4Ghz channels around here depending on which way the wind is blowing. 5Ghz is better but I have trouble getting it to the bedrooms.

5. FinallyGlock

FinallyGlock

Most of the newer routers are dual-band so you should be able to run it in both 2.4ghz and 5ghz at the same time so your printer can still connect and you can use 5ghz with devices that support it. But as you said, in a larger home, 5ghz isn't going to penetrate walls and floors very far so you'll end up needing to run extenders and/or something like powerline to the opposite side of the house and then run another router/extender there as well.

I'm running a Netgear C3700 cable modem/router combo in a 2 story + basement home. 100mbps cable service. I test out at 5ghz with my iPhone 7 on the opposite side and different floor of the house around 40-50mbps. That's probably a 50-60 foot line of sight distance. I get the nearly the same running in the same location and 2.4ghz. Moving closer to the router, even a floor above or in the basement, 5ghz will give me full speed (100mbps) as long as it's not a prime usage time in the neighborhood. On 2.4ghz, that second location peaks at around 70mbps.

IndyGunFreak and HalfHazzard like this.
  6. dusty9

dusty9

If your internet service is a telephone company DSL line ignore this reply as it would not be of any use for you. If your ISP is a cable company here is my experience:

About 1 1/2 - 2 yrs ago I switched from AT&T DSL and telephone service to my local cable company (Suddenlink). For my internet & wifi equipment I purchased my own, all-in-one, cable modem, 4 port ethernet router and wifi dual band 802.11AC. I researched it thoroughly and ended up buying the latest and greatest Motorola/Arris DocSis box. It worked great for little over a year. Then the ethernet ports failed. I contacted Motorola mainly to complain about it, telling them I had ditched the equipment and rented a wifi router from Suddenlink. To my surprise they told me it was still under warranty and to send it back to them and would either repair it or replace it. They replaced it and sent me their newest model, number SBG1900AC. On a side note, I was very impressed with their support service. I have not installed this router yet, as the Suddenlink router (a Hitron CGM-2250) is working perfectly and only added $5 a month to my total cable bill. When I get around to it I will probably install it and take the Hitron back to Suddenlink. While I have no experience (yet) with the new Motorola router I did do some research on it and found it has received very favorable reviews with no one reporting any problems with it yet. Since it is a high end model not all sellers carry it. I found it available at BH Photo-Video, a very fine company that has been around for decades mainly selling photo and video equipment but like many other similar companies has been selling a lot of computer technology equipment for quite a while. They have it listed at $179. I have dealt with this company for at least 30 years and they are excellent in every way. Probable a much less expensive option would be the Hitron unit Suddenlink furnished me. I especially like the dual band feature of both of these routers.

7. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

8. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I am using a Arris Modem SB6183(ISP is Comcast) with 2 ASUS RT-AC3100 routers. One functions as a main router, the other as an access point. My internet speed is 150mbps download and, 20mbps upload and I get the full speed on every device in my house. When Uverse's 1gbps service worked like it should, I got around 800-950 down and up wirelessly. I don't know if they have fixed it, as it's been about a year since we had it.

The router also has 4 Western digital Nas's attached with a Cisco switch.

How big is your house?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  9. FinallyGlock

FinallyGlock

That thing is a BEAST of a router. Can it fly too?

10. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

Sometimes it feels like it. I'm sorry I didn't get the AC3200 though. It would have made my switch unnecessary. That being said, at the time I didn't need 6 LAN ports. The 3100 satisfies my needs perfectly other than the need for more LAN ports. There are 0 dead zones in my house nor backyard pool area. I always get my ISP rated speeds.

11. FinallyGlock

FinallyGlock

I used to fight coverage issues, for years, but it typically seemed to be certain clients (or client drivers) more than the router. Relatively small square footage to cover in my case. But I've never, until the last couple of years, been able to get my rated speed with my cable provider when using wireless. Always had to plug in via cable to get it. I'm pretty happy w/ my current setup, but would love to actually get 100mbps everywhere on both 2.4 and 5ghz bands.

So are you getting those speeds at the worst spots using 2.4ghz or 5ghz? Just curious. If I could get 5ghz coverage and 100mbps in my house, might consider hanging something off my modem as a secondary access point.

12. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

5ghz only for all of my computers and phones. I only use 2.4ghz because of the printer, smoker, and the occasional guest that has older technology. I may fish a wire to my printer and turn on/off the 2.4 as needed.

13. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

So I ended up getting a link sys (forgot they're no longer part of cisco) router, dual band, etc. etc. Solves all my issues so far.

Airport Express was fine in my townhouse/condo about 6 years ago, and then ironically there was less interference from other routers than now in a single family house neighborhood.

Much faster, and my video devices get like 100+ megabits per second. I'm on cable too and I'm glad I stuck with it.

14. g29andy

g29andy CLM

I have the Asus RT-AC88U, which is the same thing as the 3100, except with 8 LAN ports. The AC3200 has 4 ports like the AC3100.

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

For a modem, I have a Motorola SB6141. It works, that's about all I can tell you about it. For a Router... I really prefer (and really, need) VPN in my router. VPN routers are PRICEY... I bought an Asus RT-N16 wireless router. If you plan to leave it stock, I'd never recommend this router. However, after flashing it with a new firmware (Tomato) it's easily as powerful and configurable as routers 2-3x it's price.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Gun Shark and Pierre! like this.
  16. Old School

Old School

another vote for Asus.

Gun Shark likes this.
  17. oldengineer

oldengineer

I also like my ASUS RT-N66U dual band although I've got nothing at 5G. It's pretty reliable and I have a DISH Network adapter for On Demand, an analog phone adapter for VOIP, and a Blink camera adapter plugged into the Ethernet ports. I port forward security camera video through No-IP. It handles all of those tasks without any special setup.

18. tom mac

tom mac

Late to party, But I recently picked up a Netgear ORBI
    It's a STAR system with a main router and satellites..It can handle WiFi speeds up to 3 Gbps and large areas, Runs on 2.4 and 5ghz ( satellite also has 3 Ethernet ports )
    But also has a third 5 ghz channel for backbone alone between the main unit and satellites.
    Allows for hi speed transfers. Neat thing is the main router and the satellites all use the same SSID and password, so when walking thru home with devices, they switch over without dropping or re-sign in