close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

wireless router ?'s

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jolt8me, Jan 12, 2006.

1. jolt8me

jolt8me Your the devil

i just got a wireless router going so i can share the internet betwwen 2 computers. Setting it up the software gave it a default address of 192.168.x.x this seems to be the defualt for a lot of them. my question is can i change the default address and is there a good reason for me to do it? Is it harder for someone to get to my router if i change the address or would it have nothing to do with that?
    My secound question and this is a really novice question. one computer is physically hooked up to my router via ethernet cable, the other is wireless.when i am looking of the internet through the wired computer is my router broadcasting what i am doing over the lan?

2. Jack T.

Jack T.

Yes, that IP is standard for most commercial routers
    Yes, you should be able to configure it
    No, it really won't help much to stave off attacks. From the outside it will look like your IP address is whatever your ISP assigns you. For instance, the machine I am typing on right now is 192.168.1.XX, but glocktalk sees the address as something totally different, not even a 192 address.
    Finally. . .sort-of. If the network is not secured (WEP or whatever) then yes, everything going between your wireless card and the router can be "sniffed".

3. jolt8me

jolt8me Your the devil

i meant. if i am useing the computer that is physically connected to the router, will what i am doing be broadcast wirelessly by the router?

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

No, but your shared bandwidth can be used by others.

The level of security you set (turn off SSID, turn on NAT, SPF ect) in the router will determine how hard that'd be to do and what can be done inside your network.

5. Unbridled Rage

Unbridled Rage Swollen Member