Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Linksys WRT54G.. Works great for me, I have no problems w/ it.

My Friend (2 PC's, new laptop) recently got this router, and it is not performing well at all. The router/modem is in an upstairs bedroom, w/ her PC wired to the router. The second PC, is hooked up via cat6 that runs behind the wall, into her room, and then ties into port 2.

So fast forward, she got a Laptop, and a new WRT54G router at Best Buy, hooked it up, and it gets a signal, but its weak(in the 40-50% range), and drops frequently. If you use the laptop in the room where the router is, its fine, and has a good strong connection. I can't see any way to "boost" the signal, and the antenna's are not removable, or I'd just suggest a couple of aftermarket antennas. I'm guessing this thing is being very picky about the walls, etc, in her house(probably 10-12ft down, and 30ft over where the laptop gets the most use, with 50ft being the farthest point she uses it outside). It even drops at some points in the house when its fairly close to the router.

So any suggestion on a good router that will meet these requirements? It would be great if it had removable antenna's. The only other thing, the router needs to be able to be configured to restrict access times on one of the PC's. She has very strict times her kids are allowed to use the PC(1 or 2hrs in the morning, 1 or 2hrs in the evening) and the router is set to disable internet access to their PC outside of those 4-5hrs. I think most routers will do this, so I don't think thats a huge issue.

Any suggestions?

IGF

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
The current Linksys WRT54G is very different from the early ones that had Linux running on them. The old Linux based ones are available now as Linksys WRT54GL but usually not stocked in stores. It can be ordered on the internet or some local stores will order them. For the current Linksys WRT54G there have been some firmware issues. Some people have fixed theirs by going back to older firmware. I forget all of the numbers for the best firmware but it's not the most recent.Connection, trange and the fact that the current model has only half the memory of the Linux based model have caused some issues. If going to replace the router try the Linksys WRT54GL.

·
Registered
27,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Firmware is up to date, I checked that.

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
A few days ago I ran accross somebody with a similar problem with the same router. It was fixed by going to an older version of firmware. The firmware updates are usually for security fixes though. That and you must make sure the older firmware is correct for that exact model.

·
Registered
27,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, well damn she's not one to procrastinate... I told her to give me some time to see if I could find an answer, and she just called saying she'd returned the WRT, and gotten a NetGear WNDR3300. She says on the box it is 15x faster and 10x greater coverage...

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WNDR3300.asp

This lady while very nice, has more money than sense, so I'm guessing she probably just got the most expensive one Best Buy had... Im gonna go over there and set this thing up and see how it is.. Be back in an hour.

·
Registered
27,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the router while a bit of a pain to set up (and not as configurable as the Linksys), seems to have solved the problem. Even at the farthest point she uses it, she gets a very consistent 70%, while closer to the router inside the house, she stays around 80-90.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts