close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wireless router question??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by blackopsglock, Feb 5, 2005.

1. blackopsglock

blackopsglock smckma

I just installed a Linksys 2.4ghz 802.11g wireless G broadband router.
    It works great with my new lap top that has the built in wireless technology.

My question is this and please talk in simple terms.I am very simple minded.

It appears that the router which is sending out my comcast internet signal is not secure.By that I mean when I turned on my laptop it found the connection automatically without having to use a password.That tells me if I can do it then other people could potentially have access to my connection and heaven forbid my computer?????? right?????

How can I password protect the signal going out of the router?

thanks in advance

BOG

2. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

In your router documentation it should give you an IP address that you put into your browser. This lets you configure the router. Basically you want to put up the wireless encription. IIRC its called WEP on my belkin router. Then you'll have to make up a code, then type that code into the connection utility on your laptop.

3. blackopsglock

blackopsglock smckma

I saw that prompt when I loaded the CD but went with the factory settings instead of doing the WEP thing.

Now I can't seem to find anywhere on the computer how to bring that back up to change it.I tried going back to the install disk but it stops in the process and says that it is already installed and configured.

Can you tell me step by step how to access it and change it?

I worry that someone else may be able to access my computer from outside.How big a risk is that?I have nortons and labzone protecting my computer.

4. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

5. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

With all WiFi routers (at a minimum) :

Enable WEP.

Diasble SSID broadcast.

Use MAC filtering.

6. blackopsglock

blackopsglock smckma

I have been through the whole tutorial,,No help.

7. lomfs24

lomfs24

I don't know what your router's model is so I will use the example that I think should work. I have a linksys that has been changed so this is going to be off the top of my head.

Open your web browswer and instead of typing in www.anywhere.com type in http://192.168.1.1 That may take you into your router or it may pop up a username/password box. Type in your default username and password (if you haven't already changed it) and then that should get you into your router to change settings.

I personally don't use WEP. I don't think it's worth the hassle that it takes to set it up. If someone wants to get past it they will.

I change the SSID, I enable MAC filtering, and I change the default usename and password.

The linksys product that I use does MAC filtering at the radio level not the Networking level. This is good if you are not broadcasting your SSID for everyone to see. That makes it difficult to find the wireless network to begin with. Then if someone does find your network it makes it difficult to find the SSID for it. If someone manages to get those, if their MAC address is not in the approved MAC address list the router will not even communicate with the hackers radio card. If someone is good enough to get past those they will easily get past the WEP encryption as well.

8. gsbell

gsbell Consumed

BOG,
    If you are unable to figure where to make your security settings see if there is a reset button on your router. Some of these return your unit back to factory settings. You could then run the wizard again, this time enabling WEP. Gee aren't wizards grand :(
    My neighbor went to the trouble of changing his SSID to match his last name but leaves the connection wide open with no security. What a tool.;Q

9. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

Try this if you are using the WRT54G router: Linksys security

If this is not your router go to this: Linksys Support and enter under select product Wireless Routers, APs and Gateways Then under that enter your specific router number.

Under SEARCH enter security and you should be taken to the specific information to enable your wireless security.

After you have entered the changes your wireless will disappear until it resets itself.

Your connection will always be visible to your computer unless you log onto another system. Even with SSID bradcast disabled your profile is retained. An example of this: I use wireless at HOME and at WORK, when I start my laptop at work I do not log onto the network until I click on the WORK profile unless I last used it at work. When I get home I will not connect until I click on the HOME profile and I will always connect to my HOME network until I log back on at WORK.

10. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear Protective G'pa CLM

11. younggenious

younggenious

Also make sure you change your router password.

12. Me&MyG23

Me&MyG23 Right here!

^6

13. Wingnut357

Wingnut357 Killer Casual

Keep in mind that WEP is only good for protection from novices. A wardriver could discern your wep scheme with a 12-hour sample of network traffic, then start spoofing the network. I doubt this happens often, but it could be important if you have the "Who killed JFK?" documents on your PC.

The next-gen wireless, "N", is supposed to use a different encryption method.

14. lomfs24

lomfs24

Pretty much all "security" on a wireless network is nothing more than a deterent. I don't, currently, there is anything that can't be broken on a wireless network given a little time.

15. btoler

btoler

I don't think it's the hackers you have to worry about most good hackers wouldn't waste thier time breaking into a home computer.It's the kids that can look up anything on the net and find out how to break into a completely open computer that worry me. There are programs that will do it for you now. I know a younger guy that has such a program all he needs is an IP address and he's in. I didn't beleive it untill I watched him get into my computer from his house(with my permission of course). Any how good luck with the router problem.

16. Wingnut357

Wingnut357 Killer Casual

I have a nifty OSX program that monitors my ports and notifies me when certain ones get hits. When that happens it will portscan the originating IP. It's harmless, but it will cause the script kiddies to take notice that my IP is monitored.