close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wireless Router Problems

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by freepatriot, Feb 7, 2005.

1. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

Hi folks

Don't know where else to turn, so I'm posting my troubles here. :)

I have a cable modem running into a Linksys 802.11G router, which serves 4 wireless machines in the house.

I've had chronic problems with a few Linksys802.11G wireless routers. The chronic problem is that we'd lose signal altogehter (as seen from the laptops) for a minute or two, then it would come back.

I had suspected interference from another router in the area (I have seen their SSID pop up once or twice, but usually they are not broadcasting).

Yesterday it was acting up again and I could not get it to transmit. I could not get any of my client machines in the house to recognize signal. I could attach to the router via ethernet cable and configure it that way, but could not get it to start broadcasting.

So I figured it was toast.

I went to the store and got a different brand... after all after three failed LinkSys Routers I figured I had had enough of them. I bought a D-LINK 802.11G wireless router.

Brought it home, plugged it all in, and without even touching anything it started working. Got on the internet wirelessly from all clients.

Good, right?

Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone (and you're not supposed to just leave it with the default password, either) so I connected to the router (via cable) at it's address (192.168.0.1).

Now, D-LINK has a built in "wizard" which steps you through some setup questions. I figured, what the heck, it's there...

After I got to the end of the wizard, which sets up your password, broadcast channel, any WEP settings ( I left those disabled) and the rest of it, it said it was restarting the D-LINK.

From that point on, it has not been broadcasting. The WLAN light on the front will not come on, not even when you first plug it in (you know, when the system lights all come on at first?) No WLAN light.

Even worse, the thing won't even hand out an IP address over the ethernet cable, so now I can't even connect to it to try to reconfigure it again.

TROUBLESHOOTING I'VE TRIED:

1. I've unplugged it for extended periods, I've tried holding down the rest button for a minute, no dice. It keeps turning on with no WLAN light.

2. I tested a computer straight into the cable modem, without any router, and it works fine.

The weird thing is that the D-LINK is just not doing any wireless activity at all now.

And it's not handing out DHCP IP addresses anymore from the cable either.

What is going on? I was understandably frustrated with it last night. I left for work this morning with one computer plugged directly into the cable modem (so that my wife can at least do her OAF stuff while I"m gone) and I figure that if none of you have any ideas, I'll be on the phone tonight with D-LINK to see what they offer.

Help me Obi-Wan, you're my only hope.

Signed,
    Cabled in Florida

2. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

Try holding the reset button in while power cycling it. Should do a hard reset back top factory defaults.

3. freepatriot

I'll try. It would be nice if I could get it back to the way it was.

4. mattdaddym

mattdaddym

Hard code one of your computers with an IP on the subnet your DLINK was handing out and connect via the Ethernet cable. If your DLINK is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 then configure your computer to be 192.168.1.100 or something similar. That is my solution when DHCP addresses are not being handed out, BUT sounds like you have bigger problems. The hard reset sounds even better. Try this if that doesn't work.

I had some trouble with the newer DLINK in the past so I don't like them. My 2cents.

5. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Moderator

Very wise for your first post, mattdaddy. You beat me by 'This much'.

;f

6. freepatriot

You know, I used to use hardcoded IPs within the subnet range, but it's been so long that I forgot all about that technique. Thanks for the clue. Hopefully that will allow me to get inside the router to see if WLAN & DHCP are switched off or not.

If not the hard reset should hopefully do it. I was trying how to figure out a hard reset last night.

7. freepatriot

FOLLOW UP: (Just in case anyone ever reads this thread looking for answers)

Trying to connect with a static IP did not work.
    Restarting the router with the reset button held down did not work.

I called D-LINK and the trick is to hold the reset button for TEN seconds while it is powered on. Then the WLAN and DHCP functions started working again.

Scott

8. proguncali

proguncali 1911-2004 CLM

Yes, and now it is back to the default SSID and password.

Don't run the wizard if you can help it. If it craps out on you again take it back and get a Netgear. I love those!