close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wireless networking problem, help please

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by RMTactical, Oct 3, 2006.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

OK, so I am trying to get my wireless connection up and running again. It was working fine until a couple weeks ago we had a lightning storm that made our DSL crash...

Service just barely got back up but the internet still isn't working right. Now, instead of using a line straight to the Wireless router (from an ethernet line in the wall) like I used to for wireless use throughout the house I have to use a regular router (not wireless) to connect the host computer to a LAN line to get ANY connection at all. In this configuration, I use an ethernet cable to connect from the router to my wireless router and it even gives off a strong signal... but when I connect wirelessly to the signal on other computers, I can't get the internet to work even though it works fine for anything connected with a LAN line. I have tried about everything I can think of with the one regular router and two wireless routers I have and the results are always the same.

Any help or suggestions are welcome!!

Please help... :sad:

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

OK... I'm a tad confused at what you have and what you've tried. You're plugging a router into your DSL modem and then plugging the wireless ~ROUTER~ into that? That can cause all sorts of weird things if you don't do it right. Router and access point are different things, what do you have?

So you have a wired only router and 2 wireless/wired routers? And you're trying to connect PC-to-PC ad-hoc?

What specifically is your architecture? Router to wireless router that you then go to another wireless router and back to ethernet to a PC?

Model numbers might help...

3. RMTactical

OK, this is what I am doing now...

There is no modem (at least not that I am aware of)... I don't quite understand how it works as I am used to Cable internet (and cable modems), not DSL... but there is an ethernet cable where I plug into in the wall. That line plugs directly into the WAN line on the router that is working for me right now (SMC - SMC7004VBR), it's not wireless. Another ethernet cable connects from the router to PC giving me internet access strictly on the LAN.

When I try this same thing with the wireless/wired routers, I get NOTHING. Not even a signal or a LAN connection.

So, the only way to get a wireless signal is to connect an ethernet cable to one of my two wireless routers. This allows the wireless network to appear, and I can even get onto it, but I still cannot get online wirelessly...

Before the lightning strike, I had a D-link (model DI-624) hooked up like the SMC currently is, but it worked properly and I got a wireless signal and could access the internet via that wireless connection.

Since getting my connection back online from the ISP I have tried to get it back like normal but it won't work. I have even tried a different wireless router (Motorola WR850G) in place of the D-LINK in the same original configuration, same story. It just doesn't work...

I hope that clears things up for you... or maybe it just raises more questions... I don't know.

4. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

OK, check to see how many packets are being sent and received, if there are a lot of packets being sent but VERY few received, that is your problem.

Is there anyone close enough to your computer that they could be stealing bandwith???

Can you change your subnetwork mask? It may just be that your subnetwork mask which is basically just binary code is telling your computer to loock at too many packets.

5. RMTactical

It does appear to be sending many and recieving very little...

I don't know who or how anyone could be stealing bandwidth...

No idea how to "change my subnetwork mask", I don't even know what that means.

How would I go about fixing this? Thanks for the help so far fellas! :thumbsup:

6. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

Is your wireless secured? What kind of protocol?

If someone is within range of your computer, AND your computers wireless network is unsecured, anyone can access it.

Secure your network with a WEP and WAP key and the thieves will go away (the inexperienced ones anway). Just select those options and type a network key in and confirm it. See what happens.

Have you checked to see if anyone else is connected to your network?

I think someone may just be stealing bandwith from you.

7. HAVOC

Are you in an apartment or something? There ~HAS~ to be a DSL modem in the link somewhere. That SMC box is a garden variety router. The two wireless boxes are pretty standard, too.

So if you just apply power (don't connect to the wall at all) to one of the wireless boxes, do you get a wireless signal you can use? Can you get a wired connection TO THE ROUTER that way, but not the internet?

On the SMC box that works, are you plugging the wall into the WAN port and the PC into the LAN port? Doing the same with the other routers? When you plug the wireless routers into the wired router and get a usable wireless signal, what port are you using on the wireless router to connect to the wired router, WAN or LAN?

When your ISP first got things up and running, what box was plugged into the wall? Were you swapping around the various routers trying to see if it was your problem?

What I'm thinking is that the SMC box was plugged in, and then the ISP latched onto it's MAC address when it came up, locking out other devices. Normally at that point, I'd power down the modem, plug in the router I wanted to use, wait a half hour or so and bring the modem back up. But you don't know where your DSL modem is.

But if you can't even connect to the ROUTER (not the internet) with or without wire, something is fishy. Who set up these connections originally? Was it you or the neighborhood nerdy kid?

8. RMTactical

Yes, it is encrypted.

9. RMTactical

No idea, could it be in the computer (the modem)? I've never heard of that, have you?

Pretty sure I get a signal without the connection in the wall, as I had a signal the whole time the ISP was down, but no online access.

Yes, straight from the wall to the WAN port. PC to LAN with ethernet cable. Tried same thing with other routers too. Using the WAN port on the Wireless to connect to the wired router.

The original D-LINK was plugged in, from what I understand (I wasn't here, my wife was here with a guy from the DSL company). He took that one off first thing, used my Motorola router, couldn't get it to work and then plugged in his SMC router and it all worked.

Before the lightning storm, the D-LINK worked fine. The Motorola had worked fine last I checked too...

No, I don't... This is very frustrating. I swear there is no modem, unless it's in the PC or something...

It was some dude from the DSL company. I was not home (I wish I had been).

10. HAVOC

You can get DSL modems that are PCI cards, but then your router NEVER would have worked plugged into the wall. There needs to be something to turn the signal from DSL to ethernet. Once it's made the conversion to ethernet, there's no difference, architecturally, between DSL and cable.

You can connect to the wireless routers (wired or wireless) when they're not connected to the wall, but when you connect them to the RJ45 wall socket you get NOTHING at the PCs? At all? Or just no internet?

When you plug the routers into the WAN port, does the WAN/internet/whatever light on the router light up? It's possible you have an MDI/MDI-X problem between the wall and the router. Did any cables get swapped around when you were trying to figure out what was going on?

I've only ever dealt with DSL for a few minutes, so I could be missing something there, but I think you have an ethernet problem, and the info I've got isn't really screaming any answers. My guess is the DLink lost some magic smoke, and at some point the ISP picked up the MAC for the SMC and is locking you out.

Just for grins, try plugging the PC right into the wall and see if you can get things to work.

We can get you back to scratch and go from the beginning, and that'll tell us if parts are broken, but this isn't exactly an ideal venue, especially since we can't communicate while you're dinking around with the network components.

11. RMTactical

Tried it. Nothing.

12. HAVOC

What's nothing? Does the NIC get a link at all and not work on the internet? Does XP say media disconnected or just limited/no connectivity?

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Havoc and the others have done everything I would have suggested. I will say this, you appear to have one of the most unusual set ups I've ever heard of.

If it were a "normal" set up, we could probably help you here, given there is something kooky here, you might want to call your service provider out on a service call.

Nothing against the GT geniuses, but nothing you're saying sounds like a normal set up.

14. RMTactical

Nope, it's as if nothing is connected at all to the computer. I know it doesn't say limited connectivity.

I totally agree. I am completely confused by all of this as well. I am no networking genius but I have done my own home networks without problems in the past. In this case, my wife had it all setup while I was away and I was also away when it got back up this last time, so I have never once spoken with or seen their technicians.

All I can say is that it worked before the lightning storm just fine and ever since the storm and an extremely close proximity lightning strike, the ISP went down and now that they are back up, my original setup won't do what it did beforehand...

I will have to call my ISP tomorrow... I tried calling today but the lines were busy all day. I'm pretty sure I am not the only one in town having networking/ISP problems... (Sigh) I hate this...

Sorry for the rant, and thanks for all the help and information your guys have provided. :thumbsup:

15. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

16. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

To use an old miliary term S.N.A.F.U.!

Having been a COMPAQ service coordinator I can say that lighting is not our friend. I had nearly 3000 retail stores to tend to and after a major storm we had numerous issues like you describe. Your equipment is probably damaged and you can expect more odd failures for a few more months before everything that got spiked fails. Can you say use spike protectors on all power and data lines? It may sound expensive but what are you looking at for replacement costs, troubleshooting time and grief for the next months? :shocked:

Not to say everything in your network will fail.

Try replacing the device in question first, see if the store has a cash back return policy first or if the unit was under warranty.

Best wishes, PM me if you like and I can help troubleshoot the issues.
    :thumbsup: ;)

http://www.monstercable.com/power/productPagePower.asp?pin=1900

http://www.elect-spec.com/netwrk.htm

http://www.powersourcing.com/sf/transientvoltagespikeprotection.htm

17. srhoades

srhoades

Do you just plug the connection from the wall into the router without a phone line? Is your apartment wired already with ethernet jacks? If so that answers a lot of questions. Did someone have to respond out to turn on your DSL? Either there is a modem and a patch panel where the phone box is or your DSL is really just being served from a larger network in your apartment complex. If that is the case sounds like a bad port on their router probably caused by the lightning strike.

18. HAVOC

I'm just trying to figure out if it's hardware or network. Do the WAN/modem lights on the other 2 routers come on when you plug them into the wall? I was thinking there was an MDI/MDI-X issue, but all 3 routers autodetect on the WAN port, while the PC will not.

19. RMTactical

Well, I live in a home, so I don't know if that makes a difference, but yes, the ethernet cable plugs straight into the wall.

I have been trying to get a hold of my ISP but they have been tough to get a hold of.

And FWIW, my internet has been very spotty. On and off randomly... but the only times it's ever been on is with this new router they brought over. Why they hell didn't the guy have a wireless router to leave us, I don't know...

I'm convinced it must have somthing to do with the MAC address needing to be reset alhough I have no idea how to do that in this case...

At any rate, it's over my head I guess. I will just have to get another technician out here again.

Thanks for all of your help and input fellas!! :)

20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Thats probably the best idea. I'd try to make sure you're home when he comes out, so you can ask questions. Something here just doesn't add up.

IGF