Wireless keyboard and Mouse

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mr V, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Mr V

Mr V

Decided it is time to buy a new computer as the old one is OLD puchased about 91 or 92 and upgraded twice.
    Going with a Dell Inspiron 580s series.
    Question is: We want wireless mouse and keyboard. Anything we have to do special.
    No where in the ordering process does it call out anything for a wireless system.
    thanks

2. C.Lee

C.Lee

Any modern computer with usb ports (all PC's have usb now) can be used with any USB wireless keyboard/mouse system.

3. Drjones

Drjones

Yes, any wireless mouse/keyboard set you buy will come with a wireless transmitter/receiver that you plug into your computer's USB port.

Take a close look at Microsoft's stuff - they build top-notch mice & keyboards that are priced better than the competition (Logitech).

I really like all my MS hardware; used it for years with only great results. Now that I think about it, I wish they'd build computers in addition to software. :)

4. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

If you are lucky, the wireless keyboard and mouse reliability has gone up.

We rolled out wireless keyboards and mice, and the old adage ran very true... "if you really want to increase your tech support calls by 100%, roll out wireless in your organization"

Most of the IT staff were using it, and we all bailed on it after a month or so. The dominant cell phone in our environment was AT&T iPhones, and they would interfere with the signal somehow.

Even this past year the 3 remaining wireless users would have issues. Re-install software, sometimes that helped. Keeping those cell phones out of the immediate area of the transmitter/receiver did help, and also making sure that CD/DVDs were not between the trans/receiver seemed to help also.

I can see it for a TVPC (PVR, HDTV) but not for "reliable" workstation work.

Could be than in a home environment it would actually work LOTS better than in an office environmnet.

I just won't personally spend $85+ at this time to find out...

Good luck with the decision.

5. Drjones

Drjones

I've been using wireless mice & keyboards for years and years and the only "problems" I've ever had is changing the batteries like once a year.

I've almost always had my cell phone practically on top of the wireless equipment and no issues at all.

Heck, right now I'm using my iPhone to tether and I have my Microsoft wireless mouse about 1 ft. away from the phone and I've never had any issues.

The only time I've seen wireless mice/keyboards give me problems is when you place two identical units very close to each other - like within 6 feet.

So, I suppose it could be an issue in a cubicle environment, but otherwise wireless has always worked great for me.

6. racer11

racer11

My microsoft wireless is acting up on me for several weeks now,,,,,,some keys when pressed dont display on the monitor and then the same problem will change to different keys. And then I cant put caps on some keys, but when I hold the key down for a few seconds then it will display on the monitor.

Does anyone have a clue on this issue....

7. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

While I understand the whole experiment may have left a bad taste in your mouth ... is it possible that just maybe it was the brand of wireless you used in your particular environment that really caused the problems?

I find it hard to believe that hundreds of companies would be marketing devices that are proven to be unreliable. My, personal, experience is that if you buy a decent wireless rig it will work flawlessly for about the same amount of time as a wired one.

The only reason I don't use wireless keyboards is because I hate changing batteries but, all of my mice are rechargeable wireless ones and I've never, had an issue. At my last job I had about 20 percent of the staff (or 400 employees, give or take) on wireless mice and never had an issue (or so few that they blended in to the regular ones seamlessly).

With technology, specifically, sweeping generalizations on an entire product line or technical standard are almost always incorrect, even when your experience backs them up.

"When I hear hoofbeats, I think horses, not zebras."

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  8. Drjones

Drjones

How old is the keyboard? My first guess is that it's a hardware issue - dust & gunk accumulating under some of your keys.

Try turning it upside down & shaking it out and blowing it out with a can of compressed air.

Also try downloading & installing the latest drivers from the manufacturer's site.

If neither of those work, just buy a new keyboard - they are cheap & the new one will probably be better than your old one anyway. :)

9. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

This was in a financial adviser office environment. Everything we did was *quality*... These were the best Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse combos they had at the time. Drivers were correct, and updated as needed.

It could have been the location of other wireless keyboards... they were in adjoining cubes after all...

The wireless MS Keyboard/mouse combo that I was working with was very sporadic with it's connection. It would just go unresponsive... I was in my own office with no other wireless systems in the area. I assumed it was the iPhone - when I moved the location of the iPhone the connection would frequently correct it's self.

I have been using a Logitech MX Laser Mouse for *YEARS* with minimal issues. It does need to be reconnected periodically... and that stupid iPhone is usually placed between the mouse and the receiver when this happens. I am improving with putting my iPhone on the other side of the desk, but stuff happens... (LOL)

I wonder if the signals of the 2 devices on the desktop may be part of the issue. I haven't taken the time to delve into the construction of these devices. It was much easier to simply replace them and go back to 100% reliability!

I do wonder if the technology has improved. I just haven't had the $$$ to find out at this time.

I also wonder if the SOHO would have less interference in it's residential location.

Yes, it's dangerous to make general observations as I have. Still, the dominant thought in IT is... If you really want to double your support calls, introduce Wireless into your environment... (grin) My experiences have certainly proven this statement.

YMMV of course!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  10. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Logitech +1

11. Max5

Max5

That's odd. My HP wireless keyboard is on its 2nd set of batteries in approximately two and a half years. The one time I changed them I did so for the hell of it.

My HP wireless mouse uses a pair of eneloops about every 3 or 4 weeks.

Never had a performance issue with either of the above.

12. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I play MMORPGs and do a tremendous amount of writing. I figured out, pretty quickly, that any keyboard running on 3 AA batteries will need new ones in pretty short order when you're typing, constantly, on it.

Like I said, my mice are rechargeable (Logitech MX series) so I've never actually opened the battery compartment, much less changed the batteries, in it.

It ocurred to me when you said "eneloops" that you may have thought I meant rechargeable AA batteries that I swap. My mice sit in a cradle and recharge and internal battery when not in use, like this:

See next post

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  13. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Like this one here: