close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wireless Internet Question PLZ HELP!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ArmaGlock, Mar 14, 2006.

1. ArmaGlock

ArmaGlock Glock Armorer

I have a problem, I am about to move to an area that has nothing but dial up internet at and I can't deal with that. I plan on getting wireless internet through either Nextel, Verizon, or Cingular, however the only wireless modems they seem to have are the air cards for laptops and I want to use it on my desktop PC. My question is, are there adapters for this or wireless modems made for desktop computers? Thanks in advance.

2. kAr

kAr Netware Rocks!

You can get pcmcia adapters, either usb or ones that fit in an expansion slot of your computer.

3. srhoades

srhoades

Unless cell providers have changed, that is going to get really expensive if you use the internet alot. You should see if you can get satelite internet service. Not the greatest speeds but neither is using your cell phone internet service.

4. ArmaGlock

ArmaGlock Glock Armorer

Yeah I looked into Satelite internet, it's at least 100 bucs a month with a huge deposit.

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Most WTelCo's use a USB adapter that plugs into your cell phone on one end and your PC (laptop or desktop) on the other.

I have several clients that use this solution and it appears to work pretty well.

I have to wonder, though, if you couldn't get a second phone and 'shotgun' the connections in a Poor-Man's Broadband sort of thing? ;b

It should work, if the ISP you go with is cool with it, since the cells will have different numbers...

6. Jwickersham

Jwickersham

I use the verizon pc5740(pcmcia) and it works pretty good in areas with a solid signal but in areas with only 1-2 bars it drops out frequently requiring reconnections. Also has unlimited usage for about $60/month.

7. ArmaGlock

ArmaGlock Glock Armorer

Well I just got good news, DSL is available in that area now (at least where I'm going to be) some people still don't have it. Thanks for the input guys.