close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wireless Internet Connection Sharing?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Toyman, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Toyman

Toyman

Ok, here's the scoop, I want to install a wireless card I have into one of my PC's that's on my wired network, and use it as an access point for a couple of laptops (wirelessly). I believe this can be done with ICS (Internet Connection Sharing), does anyone have instructions on how to do this or a website with good info? (I'm off to search, but figured I'd ask)

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Set the wireless adapter properties first of all:

Authentication Type: Shared Key
    ESSID: (Something)
    Network Mode: 802.11 Ad-hoc
    WEP: 128-bit . You may want to disable WEP when setting up the network for the first time. . # Then the Wireless Network Connection Properties. Under the Wireless Networks tab, add a new network. Fill in the details - SSID, WEP key and check the last box to indicate this is an ad-hoc network.
    Next, activate internet sharing. In the properties dialog for the Local Area Connection (the connection the desktop uses to access internet), under the Advanced tab, there is an option which activates ICS. . Once activated, the wireless adapter will be set to a static IP address of 192.168.0.1; other clients (your notebook) will be given an IP address by the DHCP server on the desktop. . IP Address and Name Server. Located in Settings, Connections tab and Network Adapters. There is no need to set the IP address and name server, because by default it will get the IP address from a DHCP server . Configure the wireless network setting. This is usually provided in the driver for the wireless card. is installed in the Settings|System page. Some important parameters are Mode, SSID, Channel, and of course WEP.
    . Connection settings. All 3 fields are set to Work. Tap on Modify and check the option that says "This network connects to the Internet".

4. cnarramoore

cnarramoore Just Trollin'

Speaking from experience with ICS you might be better served by just getting either a Wireless Access Point if you use a switch or a wireless router.

I had problems with Windows Update using ICS.

5. Toyman

Toyman

Thanks Washington,D.C., I got it working after messing with a few of the settings.

My signal strength and Link Quality indicators in the SMC dialog and System tray show nothing, but everything seems to work fine. I had this working before when I had a wireless router, but didn't play with it too much before getting rid of the router. Not a big deal as long as it's working. :)