Wireless Hot Spots -- Can't Connect

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Shoeless, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Mostly when I'm in public, I can connect to whatever unsecured networks show up as in the area. Today I was in Atlanta Bread Company for lunch and even though my computer wireless indicator said I was connected to their free wireless network, and it showed that I had "excellent" signal, I couldn't do a thing. No browser, no email, no nothin'.

I've had this happen at other places, too. Is there a setting somewhere in my computer that might be causing this to happen sometimes with certain networks? I was in CNN Center a few weeks ago and there were I swear, six available networks, and I couldn't connect to any of 'em. Really frustrating.

Thanks!!

Shoeless

2. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I am doing this from memory since I don't have the wireless port on the cable MODEM active.

A few things we need to know when you ask a geek a question:

1) Which version of Windows

2) Which laptop

3) Which network card are you using or is it built in

That being said it sounds like Windows XP:

First check the wireless network settings in Network and Dial-up Connections tab and look for either add hoc or dedicated access point and swap it from the setting you find.

Or disable the existing Wireless connection by right clicking and selecting disable in the Network and Dial-up Connections. Then choose Make a new connection in the Network and Dial-up Connections tab and let it automatically hunt and configure your laptops wireless connection. :supergrin: :thumbsup: ;)

Send me a PM if that doesn't work, these issues can be like mosquitoes on steroids! :shocked:

3. doktarZues

doktarZues

Since most of the free hotspots are as connect-friendly as you can get, chances are one of the advanced settings of your wireless nic got changed. Try uninstalling it and rebooting, it should automatically detect and reload the driver for it with the default connect-friendly settings.

Make sure you have the driver cd with you /just/ in case it needs it to reload. -dok

4. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

I don't have anything to uninstall and then reinstall. My wireless stuff is all built in and I don't recall it coming with any cd or software or anything.

I am on WinXP and a laptop that was built at the computer shop. Not a brand name. As I mentioned, there is no network card, it's built in. I rarely have trouble, just a few times, but it's really annoying. I am REALLY afraid to mess with settings that I don't understand because my friend messed around with her laptop settings in order to get herself onto a hotel's free wireless and she ended up NOT being able to connect to ANY other wireless network besides the hotel, once she got home from vacation. That makes me nervous.

Eek. I'm askeered!!

Shoeless

5. Clyde

Clyde Lost in KY Millennium Member

Try clearing all saved networks in your wireless manager. And then view avil networks and try to connect.:supergrin:

6. kAr

kAr Netware Rocks!

I would suggest right clicking on the wireless network connection and selecting 'repair.' That will uninstall and re-install the drivers and reset it to the default settings.

7. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Another question re: wireless.... there is a checkbox in my Advanced Settings area of the wireless network manager that says Engable IEEE 802.1 authentication on this network.

What does that mean and should it be checked?
    Thanks again !!

Shoes

8. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

NOPE! It would make matter worse for you.

I have seen totally open wireless networks do as you described? Go figure.

And I have also seen repair do little to resolve connection issues as well.

9. havensal

havensal Getting older every day! CLM

Maybe the wireless network doesn't have internet access. :)

10. srhoades

srhoades

The repair does no such thing. It only disables and then re-enables the device leaving all settings and drivers intact.

11. Dandapani

Dandapani

Then once connected and nothing works, try rebooting. That seemed to clear up the Dell laptop I was working on last week...

12. dglockster

dglockster

13. dozing4dollars

dozing4dollars Plasticized ! CLM

When using open wireless hotspots in coffee shops, hotels, airports, etc, try this FREE software program that "stealths" your computer and encrypts your data inbound and outbound by VPN:

http://www.hotspotshield.com

I have been using it for almost a year all over the world with excellent results.:thumbsup:

14. NGWT

NGWT

One thing that sometimes happens is you *think* you are connecting to a known wireless network and you really aren't.

Take CNN as an example. It wouldn't surprise me if you saw 6 wireless networks listed but couldn't use any. Same with ABC.

Some wireless networks are passcoded and some are really somewhere else. Did the one you see in ABC say it was Atlanta Bread Company? If not, you may have been picking up a private one.

Not long ago I stayed in a hotel in Destin, Florida and two days after I checked in I found that I was connecting to some guy's wireless in the apartments behind the hotel rather than the hotel's wireless.

If you are seeng the correct wireless but can't use it or it is agonizingly slow, it usually comes down to a proxy setting or a firewall configuration.

15. rwojcik

rwojcik

may want to check if the Wifi is encrypted and/or type of passcodes are needed. Some wireless access are limited to customers only and they will grant access based on number of criteria. Also they may also limit the total number of users allowed to access their system.

16. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Thanks guys. I really don't know what is happening, but I truly appreciate all the time you took to respond to me!

Hugs and kisses,
    Shoesie