Wireless Help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Firefighter631, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Firefighter631

Firefighter631 Bamboozled

Ok folks here is my question.

I have DSL service from verizon, with a Westell modem/router combination. On the instructions that came w/ the modem, it states that it supports 802.11g wireless cards. I have an 802.11b Orinoco card in my laptop and it seems to work w/ the modem. The modem came w/ no software, is there anyway to enable the encryption on it?

Thanks for the help

2. lomfs24

lomfs24

I am assuming Windows XP. Open a command window ( Start -> Run -> type in 'cmd' that will get you the command window). When the command window is open you will have a prompt. At the prompt type 'ipconfig'. This will return a whole bunch of numbers. Look for the line that says "Gateway" Look at the number there. It will probably look like 192.168.x.x Write that number down.

Then open your browser (IE or Firefox etc..) and where you will normally type www.whatever.com type the number of your gateway. (192.168.x.x) That should get you into your modem and you should be able to set up the encryption there. There may or may not be a password to get into the modem. I would try no password first and if that doesn't work then consult your documentation for the default password.

3. Firefighter631

Well it needs a user name/password. Guess I'll be calling their "help desk". Yippie

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

If you are talking about the router itself, the firmware is contained in the router itself and is accessed with a browser...you just need to find out what its IP addy is and punch that into your Web browser to access the settings!

Did you try their website for downloading of drivers, manuals and software?

BTW, if the WL connection is activated by default on all Verizon DSL modems, they must looooove wardrivers, because that'd put a hella lot of bandwidth up for the taking!!

Weird.

Oh well...good luck with this.

5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Try this as username/password

admin/password

See if that works.

If it does (I hope not) change it as soon as you're in.

DanH

6. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

also try "admin" with password of your dsl phone number. Some providers default them like that. Change it as soon as you get in.

7. Firefighter631

Ok, one more thing an I think I'll be good to go. I have been able to get into the routers settings and changed the username/password. I have searched all the previous posts regarding WEP encryption and am totally confused. I tried to enable the WEP on my router but it wants values for the "keys". Do I make these up at random, or is there a way to tell the router to do it, and once its done how to I get online w/ my wife's computer that has a wirewless card also?

Thanks guys yall have been lifesavers.

8. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

If you didn't get a manual with your modem/router (shame on your provider!) you can download one at www.westell.com. It should have the proper procedures in it.

9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

There will be a place you can enter a phrase for the keys. Yes, you make up the phrase all you want.

My dog has fleas.
    Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party

change o to 0 at will, but you have to remember the phrase.

When you go to put the keys into the laptop, either copy/paste the hex set (0f de 34 82 5a ...) or type the same phrase in exactly the same manner into the laptop's setup.

DanH