close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wireless Help Please!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Shoeless, May 3, 2006.

1. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

My new laptop has built in wireless capability. My husband set up a wireless network in our house using his Apple Airport device. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to connect to it.

It requires a 13 character alphanumeric or a 26 hexidecimal (what the heck is hexidecimal) key code, and neither of us know where to find it.

Has anyone experienced the same thing while trying to connect a PC to an Apple Airport network? I know it can be done I just can't figure out how.

Help would be appreciated. Bear in mind that I am pretty low tech and don't have the slightest idea what things like 802.11b vs 802.11g mean. :)

Thanks so much!
    Shoeless

2. mfackler

mfackler

I am no expert on the Apple Airport but I would say you are going to NEED that password. You may be thinking of it as a "pass phrase." Short of that you could reset the Airport and start over. (Most have some type of small, button you can push with a paper clip while powering it on) It turns everything back to the defaults.

Mike

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Was there a reason for piping your bandwidth into a Mac first?!

A wireless router would fix this 'problem' in short order.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

5. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Well, I did a bunch of reading, swearing, and tearing my hair out (I'm nearly bald now) but I did manage to find out how to change the WEP key in the AirPort Admin Utility, and I can now get on my own wireless network! Woohoo!!

Thanks everyone,
    Shoeless