close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wireless help PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jamiecw, Feb 14, 2005.

1. jamiecw

jamiecw

I am trying to set up a wireless connection between my two computers to share my internet connection without a wireless router. I am using PCI 802.11b wireless adapters. I have tried everything I can think of and it won't work.
    I have been working on this for the last 9 hours and am no closer than I was when I started. I would rather go wired, but it is not an option here.
    If anyone might know what the hell to do, PLEASE help!!!

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

3. jamiecw

jamiecw

Thanks for the link, but it didn't work.
    I obviously had a bad wireless adapter.
    I broke down and bought a wireless router. I hooked it up by my computer upstairs and I still couldn't access it from my computer downstairs, which was using a d-link airplus. I stole the card out of the computer upstairs, wired that connection, and stuck the other wireless card in my downstairs computer and it fired right up.
    I just wish the wireless would run faster. I get about 8 megs downstream (not including tcp overhead) with my wired, but only 4 with my wireless. Even 4 meg seems anemic after running at 8-10.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Should have opted for the 802.11g 54Mbps gear, in that case.

5. jamiecw

jamiecw

I would have liked the 802.11g, but there weren't any available, and both of my adapters are only 802.11b.

When I move out of this apartment, I am going wired. I will only use the wireless for a laptop.