close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wireless-G connection question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jpa, Feb 16, 2005.

1. jpa

jpa CLM

I have the Linksys WRT54G 802.11g router for my dsl connection. My wired PCs have no problems communicating with each other and the internet. However, I have a WGA54 game adapter hooked up to my Tivo for video sharing with my PCs. It seems the PCs recognize the tivo intermittently at times. My network connection for updates with the tivo is hit or miss at times. I had the wireless adapter hooked up to a pc and it worked, but kept changing the channel on me. The config screen kept showing me 3 active wireless networks besides my own. One was channel 1, one was on 5 and another was on 11. I put mine on channel 3 and it is secured with 64bit WEP.

My question now...does anyone know what could be causing the problem? Interference? Construction issues? Electrical problems? The AP and wireless adapter are close to 20' apart near line of sight, at the most 2 or 3 drywall walls may be slightly in the way. If anyone has any ideas on how to improve the connection, let me know please. Thanks.

-jpa

2. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I dont know the answer but I'll be interested to hear about is since I've got 2 tivo boxes I'm thinking of networking, 1 wired, 1 wireless.

3. jpa

jpa CLM

Wulf: check out www.tivocommunity.com for a ton of info on networking your tivos. I only have the one box, but I finally got the TivoToGo update so I can transfer the videos from my tivo to my PCs now. Until now I could only share mp3s and video to my tivo via the network with tivo desktop. The increased functionality of using Tivo Central Online to schedule programs remotely was also a bonus. This should add a world of functionality if I can establish a consistently reliable connection.

This is the setup I have that seems to work most of the time. I just wonder if it's something stupid like a cordless phone or something interfering.

Tivo -> Linksys USB200 10/100 wired adapter -> Linksys WGA54G wireless game adapter (bridge) --- Linksys WRT54G router/WAP -> DSL modem

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Another WAP located midway between the two will definitely increase the signal strength, and it would help eliminate signal corruption in the bargain.

But it remains to be seen if that is really the problem, or if there is an issue with the TiVO's networking extension module itself.

Are you certain everything is set up properly? Is there a specific way to assign addresses to the WGA attached to the TiVO that you may have overlooked? DHCP or TCP/IP?

Can you see the Signal Strength of the WGA's transmissions? Could be a broken antenna lead....

Can you check the stream for packet loss?

If it is weak and there is much lost data, then another WAP will probably fix this; if that isn't the problem you will wind up with a $60 piece of useless gear.

Do you know anyone who could loan you a spare to test with? That'd be the best way to go, IMHO.

GL

5. jpa

jpa CLM

OK, I think I got it. I moved the WGA to the other side of my shielded center-channel speaker (closer to my router/WAP) and the activity light flickered on like I've never seen it before. I was doing all kinds of stuff to experiment with the setup other than actually moving the adapter. I configured the WGA for a static ip on the subnet 192.168.1.x

I'm curious as to if you know of any tools or utilities to monitor the signal strength. I'm running Win2k on both my boxes, no laptops I'm afraid.

I now have connectivity to my TiVo via Tivotogo, I have successfully transferred several programs to my PC and watched them in Windows Media Player. I also can listen to downloaded mp3 files on my tivo wirelessly. As far as geek-toys go, this thing is great. This was on my toy box too...my AMD K6-2 350 with 256mb ram and a 10gb hd. It was sluggish, but it worked. The transfer of a 1.2gb file took in the neighborhood of 20-30 mins.

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Netstumbler might help you with signal strength. http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/ NetStumbler is a tool for Windows that allows you to detect Wireless Local Area Networks (WLANs) using 802.11b, 802.11a and 802.11g. It has many uses:

- Verify that your network is set up the way you intended.
    - Find locations with poor coverage in your WLAN.
    - Detect other networks that might be causing interference with your network.
    - Detect unauthorized "rogue" access points in your workplace.
    - Help aim directional antennas for long-haul WLAN links.
    http://www.netstumbler.com/ Try Netstumbler 0.4.0