close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wireless Fence?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by pesticidal, Feb 23, 2006.

1. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

2. vinniej123

vinniej123

We have used one for 10+ years for 2 different dogs. The first dog learned how to drain the battery (by letting it beep at her), but our 2nd dog won't even let you drag her into the fence (after being shocked the first time). I have to say they are a great way of keeping your dog in your property.

But on the Con side of things, you have to be careful where you dig (so you don't cut the wire), and you have to change the batteries every once in a while. Not real big deals.

Over all I think the pros out way the cons, and it keeps you from needing to put up a "real" fence.

I hope this helps you.

3. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

The one I was looking at does not use any wires. It has a transmitter that allows the dog to get only so far way (up to 90') before it starts the beeping.

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I caught a dog a few years back that had "escaped" from home during a horrid thunderstorm. She was kept in by a wireless fence and we assumed the storm did something to it.

5. vinniej123

vinniej123

I guess I should have checked the link. The one we use has the wire buried all the way around the property (same company though). I'm not sure how well the one in your link works.

6. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Wireless fences are no guarantee a dog will not escape. A motivated dog may run through the shock. I can be certain that if a dog runs across the fence to the outside, the fence will keep it out of the yard if it tries to return.

Just something to consider.

MF

7. vinniej123

vinniej123

True True, A determined dog will get out and not be able to get back in. Some dogs will require a more powerful collar than others, but with the right collar, training, and keep a good battery in the collar, and you will have a happy dog. Some dogs will always be a problem though.

8. pesticidal

pesticidal Eh? CLM

Again, I think you're referring to a wired fence. The zone on a wireless is within the radio signal transmitted. Once outside that area, the collar will correct until it is back int eh radio zone again.

9. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

My neihgbors have a puppy that never stayed in the yard and was a real pain for the owners. He was a bad influence on my puppy as well. They recently got some sort of invisible fence and the dog does not come over any more.

I watched the him react to another dog on the street and would not go within fifteen feet of the fence. Whatever they have seems to be working.

MF