close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wireless Detection -- Is There an Update or Something??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Shoeless, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

So guys... question for the font of all tech knowledge. I'm sitting here with my friend on my screened porch and we've both got our laptops open. My friend is running XP like I am. The little doohickey that detects wireless networks is exactly the same. The deal is, his computer is picking up EIGHT wirless networks, while mine is only showing me FOUR.

Anyone have any ideas about that? Why isn't mine picking up the same networks as his? Our computers are literally sitting right next to each other.

Thanks!!

Shoeless

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

It's possible yours is setup to detect only Infrastructure networks, while his is allowing Ad Hoc. Possible he has a better transciever, or better antenna, or isn't using power saving parts of the driver. Are the ones you don't see showing up with one bar of signal on his laptop?

3. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

The ones showing up on his computer were varying degrees of bars and he had twice the number of networks show up, as I mentioned. None of them appeared to be ad hoc (that's computer to computer, yes?) I think I've seen that before and none of them looked like that.

The other strange thing is that where my computer would detect my neighbor's wireless as a low signal, his would detect the exact same network with full bars.

Is there something I can do to improve my detection of networks in the area?

Thanks!
    More hugs and kisses,
    Shoesie

4. srhoades

srhoades

Or you are only detecting B networks while he is detecting B and G networks.

5. HAVOC

Or he's seeing As (unlikely, but not impossible). In fact, the newest Intel cards may be A/G only and ignoring the Bs.

But if you're seeing a poor signal that he's seeing as top power, then my guess is it's a hardware thing. Was one or both of you running on house power? Some cards go into lower power mode when running on battery. It could just be he has better hardware.

6. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Thanks. I have no clue about A, B, or G but I suspect maybe that could be it.

Shoeless

7. HAVOC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11

8. Round Pounder

Round Pounder

I once bought a batch of Dell laptops at work with internal WiFi. I could be sitting right next to two other people, each with laptops out of that same batch, and not even be able to see networks they were logged into with full signal strength. Quality of the brand and then quality control within that brand apparently can make quite a difference.

When I bought the machine that I now have, I built it custom on the Dell website. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I actually had a choice of a couple of different internal WiFi cards. No doubt had I bought a pre-built package, they would have thrown the cheapy in. I opted for the "upgrade" and have been very pleased with it's range.

9. HAVOC

Intel's cards are noticably better than the Dell branded Broadcom cards. The drivers even moreso.

10. Round Pounder

Round Pounder

Yep, Intel 2915AGB. My CAT-5 NIC is Broadcom, though, so that must've been the other, cheaper option for the WiFi. I'll definitely avoid those in the future.