close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wireless Desktop & Laptop Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by VirginiaLEO83, Mar 9, 2010.

1. VirginiaLEO83

VirginiaLEO83 1*

Hey all,

Usually I'm pretty good at figuring this stuff out on my own, but this one has me stumped.

I have a wireless network using a LinkSys WRT100 router which works flawlessly with my laptop/xbox360/ps3. Currently, my WinXP desktop is wired into this same router.

I now wish to make the desktop wireless as well and have no wired connections into the router. Yet every time I try to do this, the desktop connects for a period of ~2-3mins then disconnects from the network. A few minutes later, it will reconnect and then disconnect again. This continues consistently.

I have checked my connections and used two different wireless cards so I know that can't be the issue. The first one being a Buffalo PCI card and the second a LinkSys USB.

Any ideas folks? I'm sure it's possible to do this, I just don't know which step I'm missing. Thanks for the help.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

You trying to see how many forums you can post in?... :rofl:

3. VirginiaLEO83

VirginiaLEO83 1*

Yep - sure am. Hey if you want to be helpful, maybe you could keep count for me? Thanks! :wavey:

4. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

how far away is the desktop from the AP?

Do you have any settings on the wireless ap/router that limit the amount of devices that are allowed to connect? any sort of MAC filtering going on? What about encryption?

Your best bet is to turn off everything meaning, no mac filtering, no limits on the # of devices that can connect and also no encryption and see if your desktop can connect then. If it can, then slowly start adding devices and encryption.

report back to this thread, we'll juice you up.

5. StuntPilot

StuntPilot

Here are some things to check:

Wireless G/N

The WRT100 is a wireless G router. Is the Linksys USB card you are using wireless G or wireless N? Some wireless N cards do not connect reliably unless you download the latest drivers.

Wireless Configuration Software

The other thing to consider is the wireless configuration program under XP, you could use the native XP version (Zero Configuration Utility), or the version from Linksys.

Hardware Configuration

Finally, have you tried different USB ports on the desktop? It could be environmental, with walls blocking the signal. Is the XP box up to the latest service packs?