Glock Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Ancient Tech
2,313 Posts
There isn't a hookup for a pigtail antenna on that radio card, is there?

A little hole in the side or end, lined with gold, would give you a real boost when a suitable ant is installed. I prefer Orinoco cards for this very reason, as well as for solid cross-platform driver support.

Bridging the connections won't help.

If the hotel has its access point 150' away through several walls, nothing you can attach your laptop to will blast a signal through two feet of sheetrock!

With all those walls in the way, you'll get very little signal, even with amplified equipment.

Is the connection in your house dropping when you are right on top of your home AP? If so, then the issue would probably manifest itself even on a wired LAN connection.

What do you have for malware scanners on your laptop, and when did you last update and run them?

If too much poorly-written malware is installed on a PC, the connection seems to drop but no notices are given. If the notice "Wireless Network Unavailable" flashes to "Network Found" and so forth, the problem is solely in Windows.

Let me know and we'll get this fixed.

Best regards,

Eric

· Ancient Tech
2,313 Posts
It sounds like your card is FUBARed to me. BTW, the radio card does have an antenna inside it, sort of like an AM radio has. Lots of the older cards, and some newer ones, have a jack for a pigtail antenna that increases the range.

But if it drops the sig within 100' of the AP, something is amiss. Time to exchange it for one that works, and that will most likely solve the problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.