Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Intel PRO/ wireless 2200 BG network card on my laptop now. When working out of town the hotel I stay at has wireless but my signal strength is very low and I get dropped alot. I went to best buy and a guy recommended getting the Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO card I havent been to the hotel yet but comparing the two in my neighborhood, I see more available networks with the Intel PRO than with the Belkin G. The Belkin is supose to have much more range, right? I dont understand. Would bridging the connections help at all? internet browsing seens to be faster but not much better as fas as getting dropped. My router at home is a 2wire and seems to stay connected as to the Intel Pro. The Belkin tends to drop it regardless if the Belkin software is managing it or if Windows is managing it.

My goal is to get a stronger more dependable reception/connection; especialy when out of town at my hotel (the router is probably about 50 yds away). I am way out of my league on the wireless mumbo jumbo. Please help.

·
Ancient Tech
2,344 Posts
There isn't a hookup for a pigtail antenna on that radio card, is there?

A little hole in the side or end, lined with gold, would give you a real boost when a suitable ant is installed. I prefer Orinoco cards for this very reason, as well as for solid cross-platform driver support.

Bridging the connections won't help.

If the hotel has its access point 150' away through several walls, nothing you can attach your laptop to will blast a signal through two feet of sheetrock!

With all those walls in the way, you'll get very little signal, even with amplified equipment.

Is the connection in your house dropping when you are right on top of your home AP? If so, then the issue would probably manifest itself even on a wired LAN connection.

What do you have for malware scanners on your laptop, and when did you last update and run them?

If too much poorly-written malware is installed on a PC, the connection seems to drop but no notices are given. If the notice "Wireless Network Unavailable" flashes to "Network Found" and so forth, the problem is solely in Windows.

Let me know and we'll get this fixed.

Best regards,

Eric

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There isnt a hook up for an antenna, nor is there antenna at all. The access point is actualy in plain sight from my room. I'm on the second floor and the ap is mounted on the exterior of the wall across from me.

It was dropping very close to my ap at home, I ran Spy Sweeper and didnt find anything. I uninstalled and tried to reinstall the Belkin; thinking maybe something got corupted on install. Well now the installation wizard keeps asking me to connect the network card. It cant detect wether it is connected or not. Maybe the card is defunct? Might be why it wasn't detecting as many ap's as the card that the laptop already has. What do you think? If the Belkin isnt what I need please let me know.

·
Ancient Tech
2,344 Posts
It sounds like your card is FUBARed to me. BTW, the radio card does have an antenna inside it, sort of like an AM radio has. Lots of the older cards, and some newer ones, have a jack for a pigtail antenna that increases the range.

But if it drops the sig within 100' of the AP, something is amiss. Time to exchange it for one that works, and that will most likely solve the problems.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I exchanged the card, and bingo!! It hasn't dropped the signal for 10 hrs so far. That did the trick. Thanks everyone for your help.

:drunk:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts