Wireless card?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ThinkOfTheChildren, Oct 20, 2005.

1. ThinkOfTheChildren

ThinkOfTheChildren C.E. Moderator

2. pyblood

pyblood

Does he already have a router? I would make sure to get an 802.11G card, and I would get one from a reputable company like D-link, Netgear, etc.

3. ThinkOfTheChildren

ThinkOfTheChildren C.E. Moderator

I'm 99% sure that he does (I think he got one of those all-inclusive install kits from Verizon) but don't currently know what kind or what features it has. I'll try to find out.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I think Verizon gives D-Link wireless routers with their FIOS installs.Some people say that other routers give more range/signal strength in their houses.I think there is something special done to the Verizon routers.A work-around has to be used to use a different router but it's fairly simple.Unless you already have another wireless router or need the extra range the Verizon one should work fine.I wouldn't want my network to have too much range anyway.When Verizon gave me a standard ethernet card for my DSL it was a Netgear.

5. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

Soon after I went from dial-up to cable, I bought a D-Link wireless router with PC card package to use with my laptop for about $80. Maybe I didn't configure the system settings properly, but it has really slowed the I/O substantially.

6. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Important D-Link Router Upgrade for FiOS Customers
    In order to improve networks and optimize online performance for Verizon FiOS Internet Service for Business customers, we are providing a firmware upgrade for the D-Link wired and wireless routers. This upgrade is free and takes just a few minutes - but it is very important that the installation be performed in order to avoid potential service disruptions or problems in the future. If you are a FiOS Internet Service for Business customer, click on this link to get the upgrade today:

http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=2495153507301&lang=en-US&FORM=CVRE8

http://business.verizon.net/