WinXP power-up hang-up

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Thirties, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Thirties

Thirties

I'm using Windows XP Media Edition 2005 on a laptop.

When I startup, the several little icons appear in the bar at the bottom right within a reasonable amount of time. But two particular icons are always delayed, this is a longer delay that when the computer was new:

The "local area connection is unplugged",
    and the "wireless network connection is not connected"

They eventually appear and all is well. If I try to do anything before they appear, things don't always work properly. One example is when I go to open a hard drive or a thumb drive, the little red flashlight keeps sweeping left and right, never stopping. And that is just one of the little glitches that happen if I don't wait for the two little icons to appear.

Now, I am talking here about at home, where I do not use the Ethernet nor the wireless. If I'm at the public library, or a hotel where either of these are available, obviously, I use the appropriate on, and all works just fine. In fact, the wireless icon pops up nice and quick.

Meanwhile, here at home where I do 95% of my computing, I have to wait what seems like a long time for those two little guys to pop up with their little red Xs on them.

Any ideas?

2. vanderson

vanderson

Run spyware and virus scan recently?

3. Thirties

Thirties

Yes

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.