close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winter weight in the bed of your truck?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Radam3, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Radam3

Radam3

To those of you in the north that drive pickups.

How much weight do y'all put into your bed to help with traction?

I bought 300 pounds of sand bags this year, and it doesn't seem to be helping at all!

Last year I used two of those concrete parking stops that my dad had laying around, but i didn't like the fact that they took up pretty much my whole bed. I have no idea what they weighed, but they actually helped.

So I'm just lookin for how much more weight I need to add?

2. G17Jake

G17Jake

I have at least 4 70# bags. Sandbags are cheap enough that I put what it takes.

Still, without good winter tires, it wouldn't be enough. I put snow tires on the back wheels, and that made a difference.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012

3. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

My truck (dodge 3500 long bed) has a shell and I keep an extra spare tire, tools, wood blocks, jacks, chains Etc so it does ok with the weight it has. Still slips at times but not too bad.

My wife's truck (Chevy 1500 short bed, no shell) has 320 Lbs (4 sandbags) in the bed each winter. I put one in front and one behind each wheel hump so the main part of the bed stays free. Not perfect but really helps.

4. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I just have an ex's mom ride in the back, as long as I don't go over a bump and bottom out my suspension, it's all good!

5. TrybalRage

TrybalRage Rule of wrist..

If you don't have 4WD, in my experience weight in the back doesn't help much without snow tires - studded if possible.

6. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I have the same in a 4 X 4 with all season tires. It is strapped to the tailgate. Workes very well. Keep the weight as far back as possible in the bed, and secure it so it doesn't come through the cab.

7. Berto

Berto woo woo

I'm reverse mentality on this- I drive a small lightweight truck and just keep my momentum up instead of weighting down.
    It's always worked for me when I had to use it in snow (quite a bit).
    Now I just drive the Pathfinder 4wd.

8. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

A lot of times I have 515 pound of Ski-Doo in the back of the truck.:supergrin:

A few hundred pounds of sand bags located over the wheels can help, but be careful how you load it and how you secure it. Sand will freeze and be a like a cinder block if you get into an accident. Since I normally have a load of something on the back, I don't put anything there for specific traction help except when I'm plowing a heavy snow, then I ballast with about 400 pound of sand bags behind the wheel wells to help balance out the weight of the plow on the front.
    Several 50# bags of rock salt would be a good idea as long as you can keep them where you want them with cross planks in the bed. Plus it can come in handy if ya' get stuck a little bit.

9. G17Jake

G17Jake

Without weight in the back my truck would be impossible to drive on snow packed roads.

10. Berto

Berto woo woo

I know, I'm going against converntional wisdom here.
    It just always seemed to work fine and I had less working against me when pointed up hill as traffic would seize up.
    It helps being a manual transmission too.

11. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

I have found it better to drive with no weight in the back. If things get that bad, it gets too hard to stop IMO. But, whatever works best for you is the right answer.

:supergrin:

12. Unlocked

Unlocked 4 8 15 16 23 42 CLM

I have sand bags and and other stuff around but a lot of the time I just pitch the snow in the driveway into the back of the truck when I shovel the drive. Usually amounts to plenty of weight. Works out good because it's just melts away eventually and i don't have to unload sandbags etc. Not a good plan if your gonna need the bed of your truck to haul something though.

13. Hamilton Burger

Hamilton Burger Incompetent

I keep a shovel back there too, just in case. :wavey:

14. Berto

Berto woo woo

Besides, if you do get stuck, it's easier to push.:supergrin:

15. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

:rofl:

16. Unlocked

Unlocked 4 8 15 16 23 42 CLM

Yup, I throw one in the bed too. I have one of those little collapsible snow shovels under the back seat in my wifes explorer. It's come in real handy (usually helping other folks) too. Also keep a tow strap handy. I make them hook it to their vehicle, but I'll try to help get someone out of a ditch now and then.

17. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Traction is also a function of the weight (or gravity) over the drive wheels. In the limit, with no weight on the drive wheels you will have no traction and cannot move, even with no snow.

18. DWavs

DWavs Moderator Moderator

I keep 4 fifty pound bags of water conditioner salt in the bed of my Tacoma 4X4. When winter is over, I dump them into the water conditioner.

19. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

I have a rear-wheel driven, single traction , full-size Silverado...200 lbs. in back, over the wheels, to balance it out perfectly for winter sledding...decent regular tires and a life-time of experience....anything less becomes a 'white knuckled' affair...

Of course, 'black ice' is a whole different animal.

Finding the balance is the key for any particular vehicle...and an abundance of common sense ( not so common, these days...)

I would suggest, that in the course of events, if a snow/ice/sleet storm covers your area, get out into an abandon parking lot area, if you can, or a similarly empty-of-obstructions spot, and PRACTICE sliding, stopping, drifting in control, BEFORE you get on the road, see how YOUR vehicle reacts to slippery conditions....

Time well spent, can save some lives, for heading out without knowing how to avoid or control slips , is dangerous at best.

I am out, be safe...:cool:

20. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

the last few weeks in the snow i have had 28K-34K pounds on the drive tires of my truck :tongueout:

2013 freightliner with a 53ft trailer.