close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winter Weather - this sucks!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SouthernGal, Jan 28, 2010.

1. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

We're bracing for freezing rain and sleet here in the Memphis metro area. The system is to the West now but things are going to get ugly come early tomorrow morning I'm afraid. Temperatures are expected to be at or around freezing when the precipitation makes it to the TN/AR/MS line. I fully expect if it is bad enough that we will have some power outages. :upeyes:

Anyone out in NM, TX or OK getting rain/sleet/snow yet?

2. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

No rain / sleet / snow in the s.e. Tx area. Actually, its getting a little warmer although its going to be in the high 50's over the weekend - we had actually gotten into the low 70's for awhile. Most of my g/f's plants died during the "freeze" several weeks ago though.

I forgot how cold it could get in the south.

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Better all'y'all than us. I've got a gun show on Saturday. We need storms to STAY SOUTH!

4. Glock&KimberLady

Glock&KimberLady Morior Invictus Silver Member

Wish I could get some precipitation. Worst.winter.ever up here. Less than two feet of snow since November, and since I'm a snowboarder, I find that personally offensive.

California's stealin' all of our snow with their El Nino crap (I lived through one of those, back in 1998, what a drag) and now they have mudslides and such. Hope it helps with the drought down there, at least.

5. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

If we get what they predict, Memphis roads are going to look like the bumper car ride at an amusement park. These folks can't drive when it's dry outside, and they sure as hell can't drive when it is icy and slick.

6. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Southerngal, I live in SE Alabama. The winter has been brutal here as well. No snow. Just Very cold, windy, rain. We are kinda having a mix of spring and winter now. Just this past Sunday. We had tornado warning in my area. And I have to work 12-16 hr in this mess. Have a good day friends. Stay Warm!

7. trifecta

trifecta

Still just cloudy and light rain on and off north of Dallas. Looks like this round will pass north of us. Can't say I will miss it. Say what you want about drivers in whatever area you live-driving on ice sucks no matter how good you are.

8. okie

okie GT Mayor

Stay safe Rach, we are gonna get hit also:alex::hugs::kiss:

9. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

They are predicting 6-10 inches here in North Arkansas.That's just a snow flurry,to a transplanted Northerner like me.Most people around here act like it will be catastrophic...:rofl:

10. Mr. Niceguy

Mr. Niceguy Senior Member

My flight from DEN to SGF this evening has already been cancelled & AA booked me on a flight for the morning. Now I'm trying to decide if I

a) try to beat the weather by getting on an earlier flight this afternoon, knowing that it very well might be cancelled too, and give up my hotel room for the evening, or

b) try the flight tomorrow morning, with a 90% chance of precip back home for tomorrow.

11. Glock&KimberLady

I have to admit, sometimes it's fun watching the transplants around here wind up in the ditch because they think the studs on their tires make them invincible.

:rofl:

And yes, I help them if I can.

And yes, I made that mistake one time and wound up facing the wrong way in a snowbank. At least it was on a backcountry road and not for all to see on Highway 95. :supergrin:

12. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

As a winter sports participant myself, I feel your anguish, but after the last two winters, I'm thankful for the break.

13. Glock&KimberLady

for me, there is never enough snow. That's why I live here.

Although, admittedly, using the back end of my Yukon to plow the driveway before we got our quad plow blade did suck. That and shoveling snow in a blizzard when I was 8 months pregnant sucked too.

But the snowfall up at Schweitzer in 07-08 was freaking EPIC.

14. dahahn

dahahn

I'd much rather be in Memphis than here. Sunny, beautiful, 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Low tonight is -10. Sucks, because I'm into astronomy, but when it's -10 it's a big "no thanks."

When I worked at Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, there was 8 inches of snow in a few hours, and they didn't cancel. The Fort Mill SC location closed after 0.5". Oh the disparity!

15. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

Indeed it was. Save an eight year stint in Seattle from '90 to '98, I've lived on the Palouse for 27 years. I don't recall as much snow as I witnessed in '07-'08.

We actually got to do a fair amount of this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  16. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I hear ya.

But remember, if no one sees it...............it didn't happen.

17. chuckman

chuckman

Our problem with this storm, like many winter storms, is that the predictions range from 1"-3" all the way up to 10", with anything from all sleet to all snow and everything in between. It is not uncommon for one place to get 10" of snow and 30 miles south get nothing but cold rain.

18. MattHappyTrails

MattHappyTrails

The system you talk about passed through Grand Junction, CO last night and left us 5.5 inches of snow. We usually don't get that much in the desert we live in. The Rockies, just to the East of us, got much more. This system is headed your way.

19. Flashpoint

Flashpoint NRA Member

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a generator in case some thing like last years ice storm takes place, but I think I'm going to take my chances.

20. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Winter You said :rofl: