Winter weather in Indiana...

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by TLHelmer, Dec 15, 2008.

1. TLHelmer

TLHelmer Millennium Member

After working up in Northern Indiana for five years I still have to laugh at Southern Indiana's reaction to winter weather! :rofl: and I am from Southern Indiana!

News Alert! news alert! We may get up to an inch of snow. Please dont travel unless it is an emergency! :tongueout:

2. RustyShackelford

RustyShackelford > OD Glock 32

HaHa Try living in Indiana, then relocating to Northern FLA where upper 40s is considered cold.

3. Lt. Commander

Lt. Commander ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"It sucks" puts it into prospective...... :supergrin:

Scott

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I've lived here in Indpls my whole life, and I for the life of me can't understand people's reactions when there's snow on the ground. Just slow down, use common sense, and 99% of the time, you'll be fine. An inch of snow falls, and people lose any modicum of common sense they had.

I have a friend up north, and have heard some horror stories about how the snow gets up there...

IGF

5. Dirty Dealer

Dirty Dealer Guest

I live in Ft Wayne and I'm looking for a warmer place to move to. it sounds like maybe Friendship would be as far south as I need to go to be warm.:cool:

6. c5367

c5367 Esq.

I grew up in Chicago and laugh at the Bloomington crowd when things get a little slippery.

7. Scutter01

Scutter01

I went to school in Marquette, MI. 22 FEET of snow per year.

8. Dyerbill

Dyerbill

Living in NW Indiana we get all four seasons. I like it that way!

9. TLHelmer

Our 1-3 inches of mixed ice and snow turned out to be nothing! Wheww!!!

10. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

I live about twenty minutes away from Lake Michigan, so yes one inch of snow... And it's an alert???:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    It's snowing now, we are supposed to get 2-5 inches tonight more the farther north you get.

11. Platz

Platz

Sometimes the weather men get a little excited... I don't even watch the news on these days because you just know the first half will be video of some idiot driver sliding around a corner followed by interviews of people downtown talking about how bad the weather is when you just know they've been working in an office building all day. They'll finish it up with some poor person freezing to death showing how windy it is.

I will admit that running on the streets in the neighborhood tonight was a bit slick, but nothing pacing oneself couldn't handle. I certainly had no problems driving today.

12. TLHelmer

Ha Ha! The joke was on me! Today we received freezing rain during rush hour commute home and we had a ton of wrecks. Black ice sucks!

13. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

No doubt about the ice!! I'd rather it just snow, I really hate it when it starts as freezing rain and then cool off further and turns to snow...that just plain sucks.

I've been listening to the scanner tonight. So far only a few wreaks. Had a dozen or so slide-offs tho.

14. Platz

Platz

Well so much for "not that bad." My neighborhood is one solid sheet of ice.

15. c5367

c5367 Esq.

This ice is pretty crazy. I'd take 1' of snow over this any day. Dang near faceplanted on the stoop in front of my place on the 1st step out the door!

16. Skpotamus

Skpotamus

I live in Terre Haute now, and man... I can't believe the idiots out there on the ice. I've been listening to people gunning their engines and spinning wheels on ice for a few days now. Two days ago an idiot was stuck in the intersection by my house for over a minute. I'm serious. He started spinning his tires, his reaction was to gun his engine. He did this for over a minute until someone actually came outside from their house and yelled at him to take his foot off his damned pedal. He had a 4 wheel drive too....

I've got a freaking rear wheel drive pickup and I'm having no problems on the ice.....

Pope-onna-Rope likes this.
  17. TLHelmer

In typical Southern Indiana fashion it is back up in the high fortys/low fifty's today and rainy. Sunday we will be back into the single digits for the coldest day of the year! Indiana is a wild weather ride!

18. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23

I had fun on the 164 bypass going home to Newburgh from Downtown Evansville the other night, especially going over the overpasses. All you can do is sit there and wait for it to hook up again.

19. TLHelmer

You may have drove passed me while I was trying to keep people from running into the back of the crashes that had already occured. The mix of different speeds was killing us. One car would be creeping and another car would be going 10 mph over the limit. Hard breaking and ice just don't mix!!!!!:upeyes:

20. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

HA! You think that's bad? I moved from northern Indiana to north metro Atlanta.

Holy hell.

If the low is 33* one night they put out signs saying there is a freeze warning, asking that you please let yoru faucets drip.

If there is a hint of snow, schools shut down and business close. My wife's big corporate company has an automated line set up to call all employees and tell them if they are cancelling the days work, and remind them to be ready for that call if there is ANY CHANCE of snow in the forecast.

Last year it snowed, mabye 1/2, NONE of it stuck to any roadway int he slightest.....the local Kroger sold out of ground beef and got hit HARD on milk and bread. And the entire county school system shut down.

The last winter I lived in IN we got 18" of snow......

It's also funny to see them ***** and whine and complain about how cold they are when it is 45* outside.