close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winter Reading List

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Skyhook, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Skyhook

Skyhook

Since winter around here is a 'flight-limiting' factor for recreational flying at least, I thought maybe we could start up a reading recommendation list for aviation enthusiasts for the stormy nights & days ahead.

I'll start with just one of my all-time favorite authors hoping the rest here will add theirs.
    1) Antoine de St.- Exupery; 'Night Flight' Gripping details of early mail pilot experiences.

2. 40Cal

40Cal Modurbator

"The Spirit of St. Louis" - Charles A. Lindbergh
    Really neat recount of the events leading up to his flight. It also has an extensive recount of the actual flight with logs of every hour where each hour's chapter begins with logged information of time, wind velocity, wind direction, true course, variation, magnetic course, deviation, compass course, drift angle, compass heading, ceiling, visibility, altitude, airspeed, tachometer, oil temperature, oil pressure, fuel pressure, mixture, and which fuel tank is in use.

"Yeager, An Autobiography" - General Chuck Yeager and Leo Janos
    Another good read...his entire life story.

"A Pirate Looks at Fifty" - Jimmy Buffett
    This one had some flying content, but by no means would I call it a "flying book". Still a neat read about a trip he took through the Caribbean with his family to celebrate his 50th birthday. Has a few good stories involving a few of his planes (a small seaplane, the Albatross, a Lear, etc.).

3. Stuckinhell

Stuckinhell

Bill Clinton's "My Life."
    Fascinating book.

4. Skyhook

Skyhook

;0

5. SlimlineGlock

SlimlineGlock

"First Light" by Geoffrey Wellum

I REALLY enjoyed this book! It was a top ten bestseller in England last year. Available at Amazon

Editorial Reviews:

Synopsis
    The first-hand account of a 17-year-old Englishman who became an ace fighter pilot with the RAF, the youngest at the time, and flew Spitfires during the Battle of Britain.

From the Inside Flap
    "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    –Winston Churchill, 1940

Geoffrey Wellum was one of Churchill’s "few," the gallant pilots of the RAF who streaked through the skies to repel the massive, brutal Nazi bombing assaults that killed thousands and leveled entire cities throughout the endless months of the Battle of Britain. To a man, they were courageous, determined, and oh, so young. Geoffrey, known as Boy to his... read more

Book Description
    "Wellum’s First Light deserves to be read for many years to come."
    –The Times (of London)

High praise for England’s bestselling First Light . . .

"An extraordinarily gripping and powerful story."
    –The Evening Standard (London)

"A work of exceptional quality . . . a passion and immediacy which make it compelling reading."
    –Max Hastings, author of Overlord: D-Day and the Battle for Normandy

"A remarkable book, amazingly fresh, honest, and modest . . . utterly gripping; it is without question one of the best books I have read in the last few years."
    –Professor Richard Holmes, author of Redcoat: The British Soldier in the Age of Horse and Musket

"Startlingly vivid recollections . . . this is air war at its most intense . . . his readers get a strong sense of immediacy."
    –The Spectator (London)

"Geoffrey Wellum’s book is a wonderfully evocative find . . . a book for all ages and generations, a treasure."
    –Daily Express (London)

6. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Chickenhawk -- by Robert Mason

Fulcrum: A Top Gun Pilot's Escape from the Soviet Empire -- by Alexander Zuyev

7. JonnyB

JonnyB Millennium Member

"Guide To Bush Flying" by Frederic Potts.

For a preview, go to www.fepco.com - he used to have the entire book there, but people were violating his copyright. He left enough for it to be a good visit.

Now, if you're into flying high and fast, surrounded by aluminum and electronics, you may be wasting your time. I prefer low and slow, surrounded by tube and fabric. I like to land at ~35 mph and cruise at 90. Miles per hour, thank you; I don't need no steenking knots! Knots are for tie-downs and rib stitches.

JB

8. sf340flyer

sf340flyer

One of my favorites of all time:

Earnest Gann "Fate is the Hunter"

9. jacquejet

jacquejet

There is a book called "Unknown Rider" by Scott Anderson. It is not easy to find but is a great read. Anderson was an F-16 pilot for the Minnesota Air Guard is Duluth.

It is a fictional biography (like "Fate is the Hunter) of the author's experiences growing up and deciding he wants to fly for the Minnesota Air Guard at Duluth. The account of AF UPT is so accurate and funny that only someone that was there could have written it.

Unfortunately, Anderson was killed test flying one of the Cirrus prototypes in Duluth a few years ago.

If you can find a copy, you will enjoy it.

10. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

I have been meaning to get down to the library and see if I could get a copy of Baa Baa Black Sheep

I was watching Battle of Britain the other day and noticed the book the screen play is based off of is call "The Narrow Margin" by Derek Woods, need to see if I can pick that one up too.

11. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Another Earnest K. Gann title: "The High and the Mighty"

12. Skyhook

Skyhook

Plenty of good options, here!
    Since Chuck Yeager is a close, personal friend of Clarence 'Bud' Anderson, I think I'll start with his biography then work my way through a few of the other fine offerings.
    Gann's writings have always been excellent fare and I'll probably re-read some. Gonna be a long, cold, winter says the Almanac.;)