Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought some Motoboss Talons and tried them out today. Fingers got uncomfortable at about 4 miles into the ride @25 degrees/45mph.

Anyone out there that is happy with their gloves?

·
Daca is caca
3,649 Posts
i wear latex gloves under these, helps some

·
Packers fan
2,478 Posts
If you live somewhere that actually has a winter, my understanding is that you buy heated gear and have a plug installed on your bike, or forget it.

Gerbings is one name I see mentioned often for heated gear. I don't know anything about cold weather or riding in it, but I do see other folks talk about it online this time of year :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Winter and motorcycles should not be spoken in the same sentence anywhere north of the Florida keys!:rofl:

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you live somewhere that actually has a winter, my understanding is that you buy heated gear and have a plug installed on your bike, or forget it.

Gerbings is one name I see mentioned often for heated gear. I don't know anything about cold weather or riding in it, but I do see other folks talk about it online this time of year :)
Thanks, winter like this doesn't usually happen. At least in Austin Tx.

I'll check out Gerbings.

·
Daca is caca
3,649 Posts
Winter and motorcycles should not be spoken in the same sentence anywhere north of the Florida keys!:rofl:
we can usually ride 90% of the time. this cold snap we have now is rare and short lived

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we can usually ride 90% of the time. this cold snap we have now is rare and short lived
I think it's an attack by those danged Canadians.

Good thing we have Global Warming, just think how cold it'd be without it. :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Are you nuts? 25 degrees. Boy, I must really be getting old. I don't even think of going out until its in the upper 40's. I just bought a pair of ski gloves and they work great. At those temps though, I would go with some heated ones.

·
Registered
59,812 Posts
I might try some of those chemical heat packs if I only had sporadic cold weather for riding. Or maybe these http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-insulated-elkskin-gauntlet-gloves.html (although if I could afford those I might just buy the airfare to Florida instead.) Admittedly though I know about nothing about winter riding. Only once in rain/sleet/snow and only a few hours in below freezing weather. Did turn on the a/c on my commute home today.

·
Registered
12,304 Posts
I just have a pair of inexpensive RGC winter gloves that I picked up at the local Suzuki dealer a couple of years ago. Nothing special, but they work. However, I added a set of these to the bike...

$20 at WalMart. They do a great job of keeping the wind off my hands, which really increases the effectiveness of the gloves.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you nuts? 25 degrees. Boy, I must really be getting old. I don't even think of going out until its in the upper 40's. I just bought a pair of ski gloves and they work great. At those temps though, I would go with some heated ones.
Yeah I don't normally ride in that cold of weather but I figured it was a great way to test my gear and see right where the weaknesses are.

I'd like to get heated stuff I just don't know enough about it yet. Plus I need to install a plug to power it all, there's a write up around somewhere so I can do it myself, probably.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I might try some of those chemical heat packs if I only had sporadic cold weather for riding. Or maybe these http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-insulated-elkskin-gauntlet-gloves.html (although if I could afford those I might just buy the airfare to Florida instead.) Admittedly though I know about nothing about winter riding. Only once in rain/sleet/snow and only a few hours in below freezing weather. Did turn on the a/c on my commute home today.
Thanks Bruce, I'll check it out tonight while I'm hunkered down by the fireplace.

·
Come 'n Take It
1,252 Posts

+1 on the Gerbings. There is no glove that will keep your fingers from going numb when it is 25 degrees. I got some of the Gerbings stuff, gloves and jacket, when we rode to Colorado here while back. Works great, got the dual control thermostat and was toast warm even on the mornings we had to scrape ice off the bikes in the morning. Be prepared, though. It ain't cheap.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just have a pair of inexpensive RGC winter gloves that I picked up at the local Suzuki dealer a couple of years ago. Nothing special, but they work. However, I added a set of these to the bike...

$20 at WalMart. They do a great job of keeping the wind off my hands, which really increases the effectiveness of the gloves.
I was just telling the Wife that I should try and find some of these, probably make my hands feel just right with the Talons.

Thanks Smashy.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I bought a pair of Cortech Scarab Winter gloves and they're pretty good for temps over 45. Between freezing and 45 I add a pair of Mountain Hardware liners. I haven't found anything that works below freezing but I can make it ten miles to my job at 70 mph. The hand warmer packs don't do anything. Any heat generated is lost in the wind. I've been looking at heated gear but haven't made the leap yet. I won't be making long trips in that weather and it seems like overkill just to ride to work.

I'm on the hunt now for new summer gloves. Something with tons of airflow. Seems like all the ones I like are only sold online and I hate buying stuff like that without trying it on. I guess if I start now there's time to send it back if I don't like it even though its a hassle.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts