Glock Talk banner

Winter is coming... Last MC ride of the year?

623 Views 23 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  It'soncuz!
Took my bike out for a 40-mile ride into town to get some bourbon and enjoy the 42-degree sunny day.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Plant Vehicle

Very chilly ride, but still had a good time. Didn't see a single other motorcycle on the ride.

My folks are bugging out for Arizona in the AM and I checked the forecast...

Property Product Font Material property Screenshot

Looks like riding the bike is a no-go for a while.

But, a guy on one of my motorcycle forums said he rides in the snow all the time without any special tires. I am certain that I am not skilled enough to ride on snow-covered roads.

Has anyone else ridden in snow?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Use it up, throw it away
12,993 Posts
Riding in the snow is like riding in the rain; you do it when you have to. I suppose there are some people who do it because they consider themselves hardcore. I am not one of them.

Same with “Iron Butt” riding. I won’t ride 900 miles in 13 hours so I can brag. 2016 Road Glide.

· Registered
348 Posts
30 years ago.
A blizzard caught me on the highway crossing the Appennini mountains in Italy.
I knew it was coming, but thought I could beat it.
I didn't.
So there I was on a chopper, with ape hangers and 21" front wheel...
I couldn't see 5 yds in front of me, whiteout, so I followed the tail lights of an 18 wheeler, hoping HE could see the road.
Luckily another truck driver must have realized the situation because he started following me, protecting me from incoming traffic, until we were out of the storm.
Or maybe he just thought I was pretty...🤔
Either way I made it downhill in one piece
Not something I care to repeat.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

· Registered
13,185 Posts
Took my bike out for a 40-mile ride into town to get some bourbon and enjoy the 42-degree sunny day.

View attachment 1136205

I used to all the time when I was young. I was on a dirt bike in pastures. Cold as hell, but a great time. You really don't damage the bike because it slides when you put it down.

Very chilly ride, but still had a good time. Didn't see a single other motorcycle on the ride.

View attachment 1136206

But, a guy on one of my motorcycle forums said he rides in the snow all the time without any special tires. I am certain that I am not skilled enough to ride on snow-covered roads.

· Registered
6,344 Posts
On Jan. 1 we usually ride the Chilly Chili Run put on by a local MC. Sometimes the temperature is as low as ZERO degrees F. After the 50 mile run, we go to the firehouse for some thermonuclear chili and/or soup.

The streets are normally clear with occasional snow/ice patches which can be avoided.

· Registered
5,704 Posts
I owned a 1976 Goldwing (before fairings and bags) for forty years.
I got caught in at least two icey snow storms on it in Colorado.

That was no fun at all! Feet down, slipping and sliding when starting or stopping. Going ten mile an hour.
No thanks.

I owned a few different dirt bikes over that time also. They could be fun to ride on snow covered dirt trails.

· Registered
15,929 Posts
Riding in the snow is like riding in the rain; you do it when you have to. I suppose there are some people who do it because they consider themselves hardcore. I am not one of them.

Same with “Iron Butt” riding. I won’t ride 900 miles in 13 hours so I can brag. 2016 Road Glide.
Iron butt riders define "hard core ". 900 miles every day for 11 days. Not counting bonus side trips. Florida Jim has a you tube channel. He did it on a Harley Pan America. But did not officially finish. Didn't make it in alloted time. Years ago read about 2 guys who finished on original triumph Bonnevilles. Now that's extra hard core.

· Registered
3,947 Posts
I rode over Santiam Pass in Oregon when I was in college and on spring break. Not fun. I live in the Vegas valley now and can ride year around but don't like to ride in the heat of summer.

· Registered
11,093 Posts
Haven't done snow. Don't want to either.

Was a daily rider, rain or shine, for many years. Rain riding is tense in and around New Orleans due to the numerous potholes, particularly in Orleans Parish.

The streets there are crap due to sinkage and indifference/incompetence of New Orleans city government.

But at least we don't get snow.

· Registered
2,727 Posts
I'm another year-round rider since I bought my first bike 15 yrs ago. Heated gear and no snow/ice on the roads is fine by me. That's most of the winter in Eastern Maryland

· Registered
1,110 Posts
I ride year-round as well…also like others no rain, snow or ice. Been lucky the last week, I’ve had it out three days…Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Probably the last time until first of the year, no real time after work before it gets dark, and I hate riding in the dark.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

· Registered
10,147 Posts
It was 72 yesterday here along the SC coast and it was an all day mix of rain, sun, clouds. Kind of a semi tropical situation except it wasn’t raining with the sun out as we often see in late summer especially.
Anyway, I still have an 03 HD Wide Glide but unfortunately didn’t get any riding in. I’ll get out this week.

· Banned
25,596 Posts

View attachment 1136205

View attachment 1136206

Use to ride in mid to upper 30s but as I get older, I get colder. Mid 40s is now my limit. High of 66 today so scooter or cycle ride to gym

1 - 20 of 24 Posts