close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winter Is Coming, Anyone Ride Sleds?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by mmc45414, Nov 20, 2006.

1. mmc45414

mmc45414

I just got back into it last year. Have been loving the road trips and riding in the winter. It is off road but in the off season, when I am not shooting so much, or riding the bike or going on the boat or working on the house and yard.

Anyone else?

2. WellArmedSheep

WellArmedSheep NRA Member

Don't get much of a chance here in central Alabama, but would love to try it sometime.

3. Berto

Berto woo woo

Yes...if you're referring to snowmobiles.
    Either Polaris RMK's or old school Yammi Phazers.
    Helped pull a deceased teenager out of an anvalanche near Tiffany last Winter,so be careful out there.

:thumbsup:

4. mmc45414

mmc45414

Just trails in MI for us, no avy danger. Would love to go west some day. Used to work for a company in Eugene and skied in Bend one day. Rode bikes all over out there (my friend from work had a HawkGT and a KLR) and the mountains are great.

5. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

Just straightened out the front end on my Polaris 700 XC and loaded it up on the trailer with the rest of them. It's got a 136" track, otherwise it is bone stock. It's the next best thing to shooting I can find. It looks like a great year for the snow, hopefully I'll be breaking trail in a couple of weeks. The in-laws have a cabin near Rimrock Lake in eastern Washington, get to ride right out of the driveway.

When in doubt, power out.

6. mmc45414

mmc45414

Sounds sweet. Back east we probably have a while to wait. Got all geared up with new clothes and am fired up to go. I like it because it is something to do in the winter when I am not going shooting (and boating… and motorcycling…. And working on the house 7 yard…).

7. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

Just got my first ride in today, great time. The snow was a little heavy, but the sky was clear and I only had to dig twice, both not my sled. Brother and Father-In-Law managed to stick both of theirs upside down. My wife's wouldn't run, had to pull the bowls off the carbs and clear the feed passage, same as last year. Father-In-Law's quit running, not sure what happened, but we got it going then ran fine all day. Looked down long enough to see 80mph on the speedo at one point, it's one thing on the highway, but try it on a bumpy slick trail with a cliff on one side and trees on the other:) . Banged up my knee on the running board, and the temperature stayed right at a blistering 7 degrees.

I don't think most people can understand why we do it, I'm not sure I do at times.

Can't wait to be back on the sled next weekend.

8. mmc45414

mmc45414

We were getting some good snoww up north but now it has warmed up. Still waiting back here with crossed fingers...

9. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

I know the feeling. Last year was great, but it was the first year in quite a few that there was more than a couple weekends worth riding. With those years in mind, we hit the mountains every weekend that we can and ride like it may be the last weekend. I'm sure your weather will turn around and bring snow soon.

10. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Still a little thin out here. This was yesterday.

[​IMG]

Pray for snow
    MF

11. mmc45414

mmc45414

NV?

12. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

We have this cut into our burn barrel at the cabin.

Headed up tomorrow with a couple new sleds. My brother in law picked up an '07 Polaris 600 HO RMK with the 155" track, so my father in law went and bought an '07 700 Dragon RMK. My '98 XC got traded in on the Dragon so I could switch up to the f-i-l's old '01 700 RMK. It's a bit faster than the XC and has a 144" track, so I should be pretty happy with it. Two full days of riding ahead, it's going to be a blast. I really want to see how the new machines run, they both have had great reviews and look incredible. If they run as well as I think they will, I'll have a hard time staying out of the dealership:) .

13. Goldendog Redux

I would love to ride the new Polaris mountain sleds. My old ('04) RMK does pretty darn good though.

MF

14. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

The new machines are awesome, I'm not ready to spend the money on one though. I rode both just a little bit in some deep stuff, both went wherever you pointed them with plenty of power on tap if needed. They are very light and feel tippy compared to last years RMK, which is great in a mountain sled, but I like to hit the trail hard. I didn't have too much of a problem keeping up with the Dragon on the trail. The Dragon had me on acceleration but seemed to top out quicker and I easily beat it in the corners. Get off the trail, though, and I was playing catch up. The '01 RMK is still a great sled and took me up some lines that I wouldn't have touched with the '98 XC. There were tracks going up one spot and the first time I saw them I thought the guy who made them were nuts. Then I ended coming down that line and still thought the guy was nuts, then I turned around and looked again and thought "screw it, snow can't hurt that bad". That "old" RMK went right on up like it was nothing, the new sleds never tried it, but I'm sure they would have made it look easy.

I'm going to stick with the '01 for another year or two before I start looking at a new sled, the new RMK will be the first think I look at for sure.

15. Goldendog Redux

CA Near Lake Tahoe

Type these coordinates in Google earth:

38°39'41.03"N

119°58'0.61"W

MF

16. norton

norton

Snow in my neck of the woods is too hit and miss to justify a sled.
    They do look like a blast to ride though.
    My nephew takes a couple of trips per year to N. Michigan to ride trails and bar hop on a sled.